X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLACKBIRD2
    • Jun 2016

Change tranny ?

The motor in our boat is a reduction gear,,the motor i have (not in the boat)
    looks like a direct drive?.how much trouble will a swap be? new shaft? and im sure a host of other things, swap meaning one motor out and the other in.. OR..?Click image for larger version

Name:	motor 024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	205296
  • Ken Rockwell
    • May 2017

It depends on a lot but, great post. Send some more pictures. And the boat specs. Accessibility and cost seem to be big factors. I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I've done this once, like 45 years ago and although I don't remember the details I do recall it wasn't that big of a deal. To the best of my memory the biggest part was the reduction gear required a different tailshaft than the direct drive.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• thatch
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2009

Blackbird, The official factory A4 diagrams show the reduction model to be about 4" longer than the direct drive model. More importantly, the output flange on the reduction unit is slightly more than 1" lower than the D.D. model. Since the mounting points on both models are the same, lowering the transplant engine and lengthening the propshaft will be the biggest challenges. The exhaust will most likely have to be modified a little. When doing engine transplants in cars, we usually just placed the new powerplant in place to get a "visual" on clearances, etc. This might be the best approach here.
        Tom

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

A simpler solution would be to transplant the reduction gear, and the reversing gear assembly, from the old engine to the new engine.

Swapping the whole reversing gear assembly is much easier than trying to press out the tailshaft.

This way you'll have an identical drop-in replacement.

Having a 2:1 reduction enables you to rev much higher at normal operation, allowing the A4 to get up higher in its potential horsepower range.
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• thatch
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2009

Ed brings up a good point. Since your boat appears to be on the larger end of the A4 powered group, staying with a reduction unit would make sense. If, on the other-hand you were planning on switching to a smaller, higher speed prop like an Indigo, then the 1to1 ratio would tend to maximize the prop's potential.
            Tom

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

If the output shaft is 1 inch lower, you would have to raise the engine 1 inch, Right?

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Do NOT convert from a reduction gear to direct drive. I wish I could go the other way, my boat is really too big for a direct drive engine.
                It will be far less work to put the reduction gear on the new engine than to re-engineer the whole installation and switch props.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• BLACKBIRD2
                  • Jun 2016

tranny

Ken,,and every one..the saga continues,im trying to remove the head too replace the head gasket,,and will need to replace a value spring ,The head removal has got me ,,stopped in my tracks, so i thought it might be easier to drop in the other motor,but now the tranny will be a bigger issue,so i will go back to pecking on the head,once again thanks too all for your advice and support, what a great group ..

Comment

Working...
                  X