X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lhbradley
    • Oct 2004

Rattling noise after rebuild

Engine rebuilt this winter by a mechanic - new valves, rings, bearings, etc.

There is a "clattering" or "rattling" noise coming from the exhaust manifold side of the engine. There was this same noise before the rebuild, but it seems louder now. Thoughts?
    Larry Bradley
    C&C Corvette 31 "Lady Di"
    Clark's Marina
    Gananoque, ON, Canada
    in the beautiful Thousand Island
    of the St. Lawrence River
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

From your brief description, all I can think of is that the valve clearances may be set too loose.

Don

Comment

• lhbradley
      • Oct 2004

Well, the rattling problem has been solved (I've sent Don private messages about this).

The problem turned out to be the bushing on the idler gear was worn, and the gear was sloppy. After only 50 hours since a rebuild, when the bushing was replaced. The only explanation is lot enough oil gettting to the bushing

I ordered a new bushing and spindle from Don, and when the new spindle arrived, my mechanic noticed that the hole in the spindle at the bushing end, that allows oil to get to the bushing was a LOT smaller in the old spindle than in the new one. We are hoping that is the source of the problem. The small hole was note getting enough oil through to the bushing.
      Larry Bradley
      C&C Corvette 31 "Lady Di"
      Clark's Marina
      Gananoque, ON, Canada
      in the beautiful Thousand Island
      of the St. Lawrence River

Comment

Working...
      X