• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimH
    • Aug 2006

cross over tube leak

Greatings all:
    While witerizing my early model A4 in my Triton, I noticed a wet spot and discoloration at the flange of the cross over tube on the head side. It appears to be a tiny leak that may cause problems later particularly rust and corrosion. The cross over tube is held to the head with bolts extending from head and nuts securing the tube. Is it possible to twist these bolt off from the head while trying to remove the nuts? What is the procedure for removing the tube from both the manifold and the head to fix the leak? Will I need a gasket or can I use a Permatex type material.
    Thank Much Jim H
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Jim,

It's never possible to predict with certainty whether a threaded fastener will fail in an attempt to disassemble it. However, I would stick my neck out and predict from my experience that the head nuts will come off quite easily, but I'd go gently with the 5/16" bolts which secure the crossover tube to the manifold. Depending on how rusty the 5/16" nuts might be, I'd soak them with a good penetrating oil and tap them a bit prior to loosening them.

Once the tube is removed, it's simply a matter of cleaning all mating surfaces, replacing the gaskets, and applying good sealer on both sides of the gasket. Most any of the Permatex products should work fine.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X