• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whippet
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2012

great problem solving

Way to stick with it! - and using the Moyer check list. Perhaps further down your A4 career you can consider EI. Potential for better reliability than points.
    Steve
    Etobicoke YC, C&C27
    A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Reading back through this thread, I see nowhere where you've changed or cleaned the points. This is the first thing to check in the classic 'hasn't run in a while/won't start' situation - particularly over the winter when things tend to be kinda humid in the boat.

Comment

• sailr
        • Apr 2018

Thanks Al Schober

You are right about the points. They were new points gapped at .02 that had been replaced previously along with the condenser. The non starting could have been cured if I had just be careful when I removed and replaced the distributor cap after I had checked that I was getting spark from the coil. It just drug the whole ordeal out. Evidently coil was bad and I replaced it which gave me sparks to distributor but condenser was bad and I wasn't getting spark to plugs and I replaced it along with the points. I screwed up when I changed the condenser and wasn't careful to make sure the wires were connected and hadn't ridden up to block the correct seating of the distributor cap which kept the spark from being transferred to plugs. Another life's lesson I guess.

Anyway thanks for comment and advice. Goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks LOL

Sailr

Comment

• WEJowers
          • Oct 2018

Insulater washers on psoit

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          A classic mistake, at least for me, is when the condenser [or points] is changed the re assembly sequence for the condenser lead, coil lead, insulator washer[s] on the distributor post for the points is easy to get mixed up - small parts working in low light if you don't remove the distributor. The engine will turnover fine but secondary ignition spark will be non-existent. Another dumb mistake on my early model A4 is leaving the hinged oil fill open and it touches the distributor grounding out the spark current. Again, engine turns over well but won't start. Some of the pros on this site can correctly and effectively address some more complex issues and give you a good answer in couple of sentences but your problem may just be simple one. As mentioned before, a little invisible corrosion on the points quickly removed with a fine point file or emery cloth may also solve your issue. good luck
          Good morning can you clarify the insulator washer for me. I have no fire out of the distributor but do not remember ant washer on the between the condenser wire and the coil wire.
          Thanks

Comment

• WEJowers
            • Oct 2018

Condenser Insulator washer ??

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            A classic mistake, at least for me, is when the condenser [or points] is changed the re assembly sequence for the condenser lead, coil lead, insulator washer[s] on the distributor post for the points is easy to get mixed up - small parts working in low light if you don't remove the distributor. The engine will turnover fine but secondary ignition spark will be non-existent. Another dumb mistake on my early model A4 is leaving the hinged oil fill open and it touches the distributor grounding out the spark current. Again, engine turns over well but won't start. Some of the pros on this site can correctly and effectively address some more complex issues and give you a good answer in couple of sentences but your problem may just be simple one. As mentioned before, a little invisible corrosion on the points quickly removed with a fine point file or emery cloth may also solve your issue. good luck
            Can any one explain the insulator washer to me?

Comment

Working...
            X