• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackdove1256
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jun 2018

Heat Exchanger

Has anyone used or designed a heat exchanger other than the one MMI or Indigo uses? I'm getting cheaper in my old age and would like the prize without the price. Any thoughts on how difficult it would be to make a simple, effective HX? Many thanks.

Gregg
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I'm one who also often designs and manufactures my own parts and systems but have learned the hard way to pick my battles and a heat exchanger is a dragon I would not attempt to slay. There's a lot that goes into the design and execution of a proper HX in terms of number of passes, coolant flow, counter flow and alloys.

I'm not saying I don't think you can do it, I couldn't possibly know but if this is a budgetary decision (aren't they all?), nothing could be worse than to make your own ($), find it doesn't do the job and end up buying one anyway ($$).

If a new HX from our host is not in the cards, a used one may be an option but take care. That's what I did (3" x 13½" Sendure 2 pass for $50.00 on ebay) and it barely did the job (180° with no thermostat and bypass fully closed). The end result is the $50 Sendure is on the shelf and a brand new 3" x 17½" SeaKamp 4 pass copper/nickel alloy ($$$) is in the boat.

My Sendure is available but I'd do everything I could to talk you out of it. If it was insufficient for me there's no reason to expect it won't be just as insufficient for you.
    Last edited by ndutton; 07-27-2018, 12:18 AM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Twenty years ago I was thinking the same thing. I love a challenge.

Then there were some junk engines in the boatyard all in a pile. I asked the yard boss if I could grab some parts from the junk pile. Yes.
      I ended up getting a heat exchanger from a V8. I pressure tested and painted it. I had to make some adapters from 1 1/4 hose to 5/8 hose.

I had the coolest Tartan on the bay! Actually I run it at 180.

That is my advice: Find a use heat exchanger and adapt it.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Joe Miller
        • Jun 2018

heat exchanger

I used a Sendure compact vertical heat exchanger and pedestal pump from
        one of my spare A-4's, only ran it a couple of hours, so the jury is still out weather it will cool enough.

Joe

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I have an entire FWC system with thermostat and two electric pumps if anyone is interested.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• blackdove1256
            Frequent Contributor
            • Jun 2018

Thank you for the input

I appreciate everyone helping me out on this one. Maybe a second job and I'll be able to get the system Don has. Thanks again.

Gregg

Comment

Working...
            X