X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goodoldboat
    • May 2017

run time needed to top of batts

My boats sits on the mooring all season the motor runs about 45 minutes to an hour per week maybe a little more . Mostly going in and out of the channel
    under load .

For the last month not much sailing , but i do go down once a week and start
    the engine I run for 45 min to an hour in reverse against the mooring . the voltmeter says i am charging at 14.35

My question is , is that enough ..

BTW there is a small solar trickle charger of uncertain age or wattage ..

any thoughts guys
    S/V Gosling
    Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
    ― Kenneth Grahame
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Sorry but it's an impossible question to answer. Sufficient run time depends on the state of charge of the depleted battery bank when you begin and the alternator's capacity to deliver what the battery bank can accept which is related to RPM.

Examples:
    • A slightly discharged bank won't need as much run time as one deeply discharged
    • If the bank is discharged enough to accept 50A of charge current, our stock 35A alternator will take longer to charge it up compared to a higher capacity alternator.
    • Even so, a high capacity alternator running at low RPM won't deliver to specification either.

So you see, there are too many variables for a simple answer.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• goodoldboat
      • May 2017

run time

Before i make myself crazy with what ifs .. Im going to take them off the boat for a good charge .

The boat does not have access to shore power being on the mooring , they may have been depleted over the course of the season ..

the hour once a week was not enough to keep them topped off .

that's what I'm hoping ..
      S/V Gosling
      Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
      ― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

The basic formula is you have to produce more than you consume, assuming the batteries are in good condition and able to maintain their charge. The first step is to do an honest power consumption budget. Once that is established you can figure your charging needs. Complicating the time analysis is the charge rate continuously declines as the battery bank state of charge rises.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sailboatguy
          • Dec 2013

If you have flooded lead-acid batteries with removable caps you can check the state of charge with a hydrometer.

Comment

• goodoldboat
            • May 2017

run time

Good idea ..
            S/V Gosling
            Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Charge time is hugely variable depending on the battery chemistry and the type and set points of your voltage regulator.
              I learned the hard way that a 35 amp stock Motorola set to 13.8 volts will NEVER bring a big wet cell battery to full charge and sulfated a $500 Rolls battery to death
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
              X