• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theredboat
    • Apr 2010

Head-scratching startup issue...

Launched the boat a few weeks ago.

Engine started up and ran flawlessly 2-3 times in the slip, and then again when we moved to the mooring.

About 2 weeks later on the mooring, we go to head out for a sail, I push the ignition switch and nothing... no click, no turnover, just silence.

I break out the meter and start checking things:

- Battery reads 12.8v
    - B post on solenoid reads 12.8v
    - S post on solenoid reads 12.8v when ignition switch is pressed

Must be bad solenoid?

So I pull the starter and solenoid. I bench test the starter on its own and it spins up just fine. At this point I'm 95% sure it's the solenoid.

Today I got the new solenoid installed. SAME PROBLEM with all the same readings above.

Any pointers on what to try next? I'm a little stumped.
  • Easy Rider
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2007

You might want to have a look at the start switch/key/button. They are known to corrode. Had the same problem once. Easy to test.
    Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Also check the battery ground(s) for being clean and tight. Most electrical issues tend to be around the grounds on a boat. The lights may burn and the radio will blast but not enough current can flow to start. Seen it many times.

There should be a ground strap on the engine to the battery negative lug or the batteries themselves.

Do check the ign switch and/or button as per Easy Rider!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Sam
        Afourian MVP
        • Apr 2010

Couple of weeks ago I was a passenger on an older O"Day. Near the end of the sail the owner turned on the blower [ran good], ignition on and pushed starter button. Nothing happened repeatedly. The switches are on a recessed cockpit wall exposed to weather. I crawled into side lazarette and with my pocket knife jumped the starter switch wire contacts. Engine started right up. Internal corroded switches happen. Replacement cost for new weather resistant Sierra switch $25 and 20 min of labor. Give it a try.

Comment

• theredboat
          • Apr 2010

might have solved it

thanks for all the replies... think i might have solved it.

using the ohm meter determined that the starter is shorted out!

Surprising since I can still get it to work on the bench with a jumper battery.

But I'm getting 12.8v on the enclosure!

Anyone know the part numbers for the delco starter? I will likely buy one from moyer as well as a backup but hoping the big marine engine shop in town has one in stock.

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Most locales have a starter/alternator repair place. Drag it in there and get it fixed, they are not complex or unusual except for being sealed for safety.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• roadnsky
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by theredboat View Post
              Anyone know the part numbers for the delco starter? I will likely buy one from moyer as well as a backup but hoping the big marine engine shop in town has one in stock.
              Just a word here to be sure and use an Ignition Protected (MARINE) unit.
              I know you mentioned you will but want to emphasize it for newbies who might be skimming this thread.

-Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
              sigpic
              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• theredboat
                • Apr 2010

Back to square one...

Update:

Had the starter rebuilt by a local shop and they did an amazing job. Even repainted the thing for me. Looks brand new.

But.... I just reinstalled it.... and the problem remains!!... absolute silence when the press the ignition.

I just tried using a remote starter between the solenoid B and S terminals and still nothing. Not even a click.

Even tried cleaning the terminals at the battery connections, which I'm certain are good shape (I ran my inverter off the batteries with a sander for about 3 hours the other day... no problem).

What on earth should I try next?? Hitting the end of my knowledge...

Comment

• Easy Rider
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Feb 2007

Did you test the ignition/starter button yet? Sure sounds like a corroded connection somewhere.
                  Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• roadnsky
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Easy Rider View Post
                    Did you test the ignition/starter button yet? Sure sounds like a corroded connection somewhere.
                    Connect a jumper wire (12-14 gauge) between the large battery terminal on the starter solenoid and the positive terminal (+) of the coil.
                    Connecting this jumper wire is the same as turning on the ignition switch and it will by-pass any problem that might exist in the "starting circuit", including the ignition starter switch itself.

DON'T leave the jumper wire installed very long unless the engine is running or you'll pretty likely burn out the coil.
                    It's the same as having the ignition left ON
                    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                    sigpic
                    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• theredboat
                      • Apr 2010

comedy of errors

Easy Rider - you were right!

It was the ignition switch in the cockpit!!

I had previously ruled that out because the remote starter switch I installed was not working either. At one point I said to myself... the only thing this could be is that both the remote starter switch AND the permanent starter switch were kaput. Turns out that's exactly what it was LOL. One of the terminals on the remote starter had come loose internally. Once I fixed that, she started right up.

Just ordered a new starter switch from Moyer...

Good times

As always, thanks all for the help. This is such a great community!

Comment

• joe_db
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

FYI
                        -
                        I had ongoing occasional "no starts" where the ignition was on, but the solenoid would not engage. I now have the start button controlling a relay near the starter, the relay needs very little current to pull in and I have never had a problem starting since.

Joe Della Barba
                        Coquina
                        C&C 35 MK I
                        Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                        X