Got a puzzle for ya. Engine temps are...well, wired.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pearsontriton28
    • Nov 2017

Got a puzzle for ya. Engine temps are...well, wired.

I’ll preface this with this factoid- I just installed a new engine temp gage and have ran my engine several times since. So I start my engine and let it run on idle anywhere from 5-15 minutes before we leave the dock. The slow ride out of the marina to the lake takes 20 minutes. By the time I get out to the lake my engine temps are at 200-205. Once I’m out in the lake I tend to motor another 10 minutes or so before I hoist sail. Within those 10 minutes of lake motoring, my temps drop to 150-160 and stay there as long as I have the engine running. Am I witnessing the thermostat opening up, allowing the temp to drop? I have the old brass geared, high pressure pump, maybe it’s pumping more water with when I throttle the engine up when out of the marina....of course, I have to slow down my engine speed when I enter the marina and make the 20 minute ride back to the dock and I notice no rise in engine temp.
    Last edited by pearsontriton28; 07-14-2019, 09:06 PM.
  • nyvoyager
    • Jun 2012

your initial temperatures are too high
    I would check for a restriction in the cooling circuit
    What is the condition of the tee in the water jacket plate and the thermostat housing?

Comment

• pearsontriton28
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by nyvoyager View Post
      your initial temperatures are too high
      I would check for a restriction in the cooling circuit
      What is the condition of the tee in the water jacket plate and the thermostat housing?
      Everything seems to look fine externally. God only know what it looks inside. I haven’t flushed it out or changed the thermostat. Early this season, I sucked ip some debris, shearing a key in my pump. I replaced the keyway and now I have water out the exhaust again. I wonder if I have some debris trapped somewhere causing it to heat up for the moment.

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

First thing I'd try is removing the thermostat. If that doesn't bring the temps down, we can suggest further diagnosis. I've seen cases where a load of crud collects just below the thermostat.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

What Al said and a thermostat can get sticky too, albeit rare. Look for some debris under the "exit fitting" on the manifold, this is a common collection point too.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
          X