X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gloucestersailor
    • Oct 2004

Repower vs Rebuild

I am considering a repower on my 27 foot Ericson. I currently have an atomic 4 and I am entertaining proposals that range from rebuilding the A4 to replacing it with a brand new Yanmar (or Westerbeke or even a Universal).

I've received quotes that include everything from the control cables through the exhaust manifold, as well as suggestions that I just rebuild the A4 in place.

Given the fact that we hope to get a bigger boat within 3-5 years, I'd like to hear people discuss the value proposition here.

Thanks
    -Gloucester Sailor
  • sailorf
    • Oct 2004

I'd rebuild

From what I can tell, it's a lot more cost-effective to rebuild. If you're in Gloucester, MA, there are a lot of knowledgable mechanics who can help you or do the job for you. I'm in Newburyport now, but I lived in Rockport for many years and would be happy to recommend someone if you like.

Comment

• TOOLIE
      • Oct 2004

rebuild

i have a 1975 pearson 28 i sail on the lis. my a4 is very dependable, easy to maintain. i had a friend on board who owned a '33 tartan with a diesel engine , he said that my a4 was quiet. it makes motoring alot more pleasurable. gas engines are a lot less complicated. if something goes wrong , it is either fuel, spark or compression. it is easy to narrow down the problem.
      good luck
      toolie

Comment

• littlemac
        • Oct 2004

Rebuild

I was considering repowering my C@C 34, but was advised by a friend who is also a broker that unless you intend to keep the boat for 10 years, or plan a major change in use patterns (such as multi-year cruise to tropics involving long passages) the economics of the options strongly favor rebuilding. Cost of new engine is only starting point; then comes new fuel tank, exhaust system and probably new shaft and prop. By the way, a new feathering prop this spring increased gas mileage and reduced noise/vibration as it was running at lower rpm.

Comment

• ericson_35
          • Oct 2004

repower or not to repower

I agree with littlemac. A repower is not a drop it in and go task. Think of the new control mounting, the new engine mounts, a return fuel line fitting in the fuel tank, new wiring, new fuel lines, probably a larger shaft, stufing box and prop, a new control panel, diesel filter (Racor), new engine mounts, weight differentials, I can go on and on.

A well maintained A-4 is a charm to work on, parts are relatively cheap, and even a full rebuild from Mr. Moyer is around 3,500 to 4,250 compared to a more likely figure of 8,000 for a diesel. refit. That extra money is a new main and jib, or a complete set of self tailing winches

John M.

Comment

• therapy2
            • Oct 2004

I had the same choice several years ago. I spent a lot of time and energy researching the various options. I finally chose to have Don Moyer rebuild my 1968 Atomic Four. I now have a quiet, reliable, simple to maintain engine, that gets a lot of use now that I am retired. I would highly recommend a rebuild. You'll never get your money out of the repower when you sell.

Comment

• Silver Lining
              • Oct 2004

Repower or Rebuild?

OH DEFINITELY REBUILD!
              Last year I had a valve stuck open and my A4 had water pouring and squirting out of every hole. With Moyer Marine's help I did the job myself. Their manual is extreemly helpful as of course are Don and Company.
              Repowering with a small diesel is very- very expensive. There are hidden costs like instrumentation and fuel tanks etc. And a diesel can't compare to the A-4 for smooth vibration free running. Folks have actually asked me more than once when I was idling if my engine was on! A valve job is easy to do - I did have some help. I went to a local engine rebuilder and paid about $150 to boil out the manifold and come to my boat to lap the vavles. Turned out I could have easily done it myself. Plus a new head, gasket set , valve and tools totaled up to a whopping $1000.00! A whole heck of a lot less than a new diesel engine. Thank you Moyer Marine!

Comment

• gloucestersailor
                • Oct 2004

The economics of the rebuild

I appreciate the input. A rebuilt engine is the best way to go, although it is only less expensive if the boat owner does the work in place. If the boat owner hires a professionall to do the install, the costs approach that of a complete repower.

For the benefit of the community, here is a breakdown of the costs involved for both rebuilt and repowered. I've included a lot of charges that could be eliminated if the intrepid boat owner leaves the boat in the boatyard and does the work himself, however, since that is not always the case, I have made the assumption that the boat will be moved into an engine shop where the rebuilt engine will be professionally installed. Furthermore, since most repowers are done this way, so I thought it best to make the two scenarios as similar as possible.

Repower:
                Most big marinas in the greater Boston (indeed in any heavily trafficed pleasure boat port) are happy to quote a price that includes everything - including the haul out and the winter storage. Drop off the boat and write a check in October, then sailaway a boat with a fully warenteed engine in May.
                Besides the engine and labor, the quotes include controls, instumentation, wiring harness, drive, new tanks & returns for the fuel and exhaust, and re-building the engine compartment. Since these packages include hauling and storage, I've included them in a breakdown of the costs of installing a rebuilt engine.
                The range is from $9,000-$10,000.

Here's my breakdown of installing a rebuilt engine:
                $4225 - Rebuilt A4 from Moyer (does not include consideration of an existing engine)
                $620 - Shipping of engine (this varies widly based on your location)
                $1200 - Hauling & storage at boatyard
                $1260 - Truck hauling of boat from boatyard to engine shop and back ($680 each way)
                $1000 - Labor (Estimated but probably conservative)

$8405 Total for a rebuilt engine.

Again, I fully admit that the cost of installing a rebuilt engine is much less if I leave the boat in the yard and do it myself.

Comment

• Davis Modlin
                  • Oct 2004

Rebuild vs Repower

I am in the process of rebuilding my A4 at this time. I had to have my bottom repainted, So before I took her over to the boatyard I disconnected everything from the engine and had vessel assist tow me over to the yard($105 round trip). It cost $75 to pull the engine. I put it in the back of my truck and it now resides in my garage. When I'm done rebuilding it at the end of winter I will take it back, Add another $105 tow charge and $75 forklift fee (total $360). This way I don't have to pay slip and boatyard fee's at the same time. When I have it back in the slip I can reconnect everything there. So I figure about $1000 for the rebuild + $360 tow and yard fee's $1360 total !! Plus a new exhuast system (around $500) This gives me a complete power system for less than $2000. I don't think this is bad at all.

Davis Modlin
                  E29
                  Holy Guacamole

Comment

Working...
                  X