• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HalcyonS
    • Dec 2012

Alternatives to Facet

Hi all
    maybe is the gas I they sell in los Angeles, but I have had recurrent fuel supply problems and they tend to be the Facet. The sealing gasket on the bottom was all soft and puckered up, suggesting some solvent in the gas which the Facet gasket doesn't like. I buy my Facets from our hosts at Moyer, and have bought several.

The problem recently is the plastic ball-valve locks up with some kind of goop which I assume is precipitating out of the gas, because I've now got 3 fuels filters in line. An ancient Wilcox Crittenden bronze unit with a drain bung, a sierra cannister and a 10 micron polishing filter. I put the Wilcox Crittenden on because of the amount of crud in my old monel 50 gal tank. It turns out this was a smart move. Yesterday I found it had almost a tbsp of pale green dust in it - I take this to be a nickel salt from the tank. So I'm guessing its giving the Sierra cannister 5-10 times more life.

Paddling my 8 ton boat back to moorings with a couple of kayak paddles after being becalmed persuaded me it was time to take action. I shopped around and found an Airtex E8251 (suffix AX as I recall) Its marine, coast guard rated, 2-4 psi, 30 GPH, and a good deal cheaper than the Facet.

I spent my saturday on my knees on the bilge replumbing my fuel lines (again) and hooked up the airtex. Its whisper quiet. I'll report back on any issues, but I'm interested to know if anyone has experience with this pump. If it fails, I may fit a mechanical.
    "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Uh...I agree..mechanical!!

I love mine..I see no reason to go with a Facet or other brand and add the OPSS, etc., and I've had no trouble with my rebuilt mechanical fuel pump. This seems like a 10 year or longer rebuild item..the only real point of failure as far as I can tell is the robust diaphragm.

I have no experience with the Airtex, so I hope you report back. Diversity and options always help!!
    Last edited by sastanley; 11-06-2016, 10:10 PM. Reason: more blabbering
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Where are you getting your gas?
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

The weak point with the stock mechanical fuel pump is the inlet settling bowl and it's seal. The pump itself is fine. I've gone so far as to saw off the bowl, plug the hole, and get fuel into the pump by an alternate path - but I wasn't totally happy with the result. Tough choice..
        I've been on boats which had a 'day tank' for fuel, located above the engine and gravity feed. In the morning, a hand pump would fill the day tank. Done deal.. Gotta love simple.

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Unless the goop is FROM the Facet pump, you still have a problem. It may well precipitate out in the carb now.
          Where do you get your gas?
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

Has this been going on all summer? Or is it recent? Maybe there is something in the winter blend gasoline they sell this time of year in California that was not present in summer blend gas.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• tenders
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Gosh, a tablespoon of that dust seems like a lot to get through those filters. I'm with joe_db...the problem is not really the pump, that just happens to be the current limiting factor. At best the problem will now manifest itself in the nooks and crannies of the carb.

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

You wouldn't be one of those places that went to 15% ethanol ?
                * the Facet pumps are, in theory, rated for 85% ethanol fuel. What I have seen is ethanol doing a fine job dissolving crud from the marina fuel tank and then it settles out someplace in your boat
                Last edited by joe_db; 11-07-2016, 11:21 AM.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Jan 2007

Simon, there are many electric pumps that will work just fine like the mechanical stock pump. I think in your case that no matter what pump you install the KRAP in your tank will manifest as a problem. I feel your approach to the tank is like adding water to a mud puddle to make it go away.

Try a temporary tank for a while and I think your troubles with clogging will disappear.

For what it's worth I had a mechanical on my boat and in 34 years I rebuilt it once about 10 years after purchasing and it is still working for the new owner. My personal choice for safety is the mechanical stock pump, and don't forget it can be operated by hand with the bail. That bail pumping got me back to the slip so I could R&R the pump for rebuilding.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Some of us have engines with no way to mount a mechanical pump. Back when I had an older engine with a mechanical pump it worked fine.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• capnward
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2012

I have had no problems with my mechanical pump since the rebuild, 2400 hours ago. I like being able to use the bail to prime or flush the line. Electric fuel pumps are not to be considered an upgrade from mechanical ones, in my opinion. But they do tend to have easier access for replacement.
                      I use non-ethanol with MMO, with a stainless gas tank, a Racor filter and two inline filters. Even so, I have to clean the carb and replace filters more often than I would like. I am having one of those episodes at the moment, in fact.
                      If there is goop in the pump, it's not a pump problem but a gas problem. It may be that ethanol degrades rubber and plastic pump parts, but it is more likely that it breaks loose crud in your tank and sends it downstream to collect in the filters, the pump, and the carb. Or, your source of gas may be dubious to begin with. Fortunately for me, there is a good source of non-ethanol gas on this island.
                      I thought all A-4s have a way to mount a mechanical pump, if you remove the plate that was put on when the change was made to electric. Or perhaps there is a space issue on that side of the engine on some boats.
                      Winter vs summer blend gasoline? How Californian! Do you get that at the gasoline boutique?

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by capnward View Post
                        Winter vs summer blend gasoline? How Californian! Do you get that at the gasoline boutique?
                        Here is the lowdown on winter vs. summer blends we 'enjoy' locally:
                        California might start using winter-blend gasoline early in a desperate attempt to bring down gas prices. But what is winter-blend gas, anyway?

Please notice it has NOTHING to do with ethanol content and all of us are using it without consequence.

As for the current issue, this is not a new wrinkle. It was the topic of a thread a year ago.

A comment from someone who has lived in Southern California his entire life:
                        50 years ago the smog was so bad we could not see the coastal mountain range maybe 30 miles distant (clearly visible today), our throats burned and chests hurt on summer days, schools would curtail outside activities on days with a high smog index. Emissions related measures, like them or not, have had a dramatic effect on our air quality over the long term so even if seasonal fuel blends seem nutty to non-locals, they've made a significant difference.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California
                        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• HalcyonS
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                          Where are you getting your gas?
                          arco usually
                          "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                            Unless the goop is FROM the Facet pump, you still have a problem. It may well precipitate out in the carb now.
                            yuh, I know, having done two carb rebuilds - good thing its a simple unit
                            Some threads back I posted pics of what I called 'carburettor cheese' found inside the carb. But lately its been the Facet causing problems.

Comment

• HalcyonS
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                              Has this been going on all summer? Or is it recent? Maybe there is something in the winter blend gasoline they sell this time of year in California that was not present in summer blend gas.

TRUE GRIT
                              wow - lots of replies to this thread!
                              winter? we don't have winter here
                              It seems to be year-round, and it clearly gets worse quickly if the engine sits for more than 2 weeks without running.

Comment

Working...
                              X