X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yeahjohn
    • Jun 2012

Removing Reversing Gear

Okay. The project is about to begin. I have a Moyer pdf on the removal and install... so hopefully that helps. If you are just joining my adventure my operation cone busted into pieces so I am replacing the reversing gear assembly. I have a Catalina 30 so my access is good and my boat is in the water. After reading Shawn's marathon indigo thread I am a little nervous but oh well it has to be done.

I am starting today so we will see.

First things first. What is my best approach at getting the shaft off? I can leave the propeller drive coupling on the shaft. So will the propeller drive coupling simply unbolt off the output coupling?

Any experienced tips for me before going at this?

Also where does the pipe wrench hold onto the coupling at while removing the nut?

I have purchased a reversing gear assembly but need my old output coupling and my current break band.

Thanks!
  • Mark S
    • Sep 2008

Is this something you want to do while in the water?

Comment

• yeahjohn
      • Jun 2012

I have never been more sure about anything in my life =) Slash maybe boat yards are different here in Southern California? My boat yard charges a million dollars to pull up to there dock and then only they can touch your boat =)
      Last edited by yeahjohn; 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• marthur
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2004

So will the propeller drive coupling simply unbolt off the output coupling?
        More or less. The two halves of the coupling sometimes like to stick together but a little gentle persuasion will do the job.

Also where does the pipe wrench hold onto the coupling at while removing the nut?
        The place will be pretty obvious--the outer circumference of the coupling. The inner part is machined smooth to fit into the oil seal, so be careful of that.

Any experienced tips for me before going at this?
        Here is what I remember from removing my coupling:
        The long fine threaded bolts were key to removing the coupling.
        I was glad I a had a Big 1/2" drive breaker bar. On my boat, there wasn't quite enough room between the couplings to get a full sized socket and the breaker bar on the shaft nut. So I cut one in half to make a "shorty."

Finally, removing the old gear will be an oily mess. Have a lots of absorbent rags and maybe an oil change pan ready.

I was removing my coupling to change the oil seal. You may wish to replace the oil seal at this time. Once you have it apart it takes only a few extra minutes, but it will save you from taking off the coupling off a second time.
        Mike

Comment

• ILikeRust
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2010

Depending on the configuration and access to your engine, I might recommend tying a leash onto your tools and have that leash around your wrist while you're working.

When I disconnected the two halves of my coupling, I dropped the pipe wrench, which immediately when clanging down and disappeared into the inky, oily - and almost utterly inaccessible - darkness under the engine.

I pulled it back out after I removed the bulkhead and got the engine out (using another pipe wrench).
          - Bill T.
          - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• yeahjohn
            • Jun 2012

Okay. So it has started. Prop shat coupling separated easily from output coupling. Shaft came back just far enough. I could not get breaker bar into the space but I did get a 1 1/8 wrench on the tail shaft nut and after some pb blaster it came right off. Today I am working on getting housing off and output coupling pressed off... We will see how that goes. Everything looks really clean and there are no visible issues.

Comment

• yeahjohn
              • Jun 2012

Well the exciting thing about this project is there are so many fun hang ups along the way. The output coupling came off smoothly using the prop shaft coupling bolts to back in out. Two warn bolts under the water pump took some time and care to remove. The casing is pretty hard to get off but will wedge out. Everything went back on great except the output coupling would not budge so I had to make a tool to press it back in, and it finally pressed on slowly but smoothly. The job took Friday through Sunday and around 14 hours of work. I still have to put on the water pump, put oil in the engine, and adjust gear assembly but that will be easy. Thanks for the help.

John
              Attached Files

Comment

• marthur
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2004

Nice work!
                Mike

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

Great progress!

Not too shabby for somebody who, two weeks ago, had no idea about the reversing gear.

I love this simple little engine.
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

So now John, when somebody posts a question about removing and replacing their reversing gear or tailshaft or rear housing I expect you'll step up and walk them through it.

Well done. Fingers crossed for a successful test run.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Ajax
                      • Jul 2011

Great job, John. This is one for the archives, that will help people down the road.

Comment

Working...
                      X