X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barr88
    • May 2011

Scrape- brisel brush- clean- paint

What is a good solvent to clean the engine exterior and are there any spray paints available that work well? Thanks
  • Kurt
    • Jun 2007

Not knowing how dirty your engine is, it's hard to say what you might want to use. If you have some flaking paint and surface rust, just scrape that off first with a wire bristle brush - vacuum everything up and see what you have. My engine was never very bad so I would actually just use shop towels and a generic Green hosehold cleaner on the engine. Something like simple green or the stuff they sell at Home Depot/Lowes works fine if it 'aint too dirty. That stuff is not toxic so it won't take your existing paint off. I would then treat any rust with any one of a variety of 'rust to primer' products that you can find at your local automotive store. Naval Jelly works as well, but is a little messy. You can then paint. I always used GM engine spray paint from the local automotive store. You can probably find something that matches your engine color pretty good - at least I could. Acetone is also pretty good at removing oil from surfaces, but might take some paint off as well

Comment

• Barr88
      • May 2011

Thanks. I'll have pics up this evening of my progress can't seem to figure how to upload from iPhone if that's even possible

Comment

Working...
      X