Order a new carburetor or keep messing around ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDK
    • Apr 2016

Forcing the choke to stay all the way closed was key, I'm now running, sans Scavenge tube.....manifold plugged, carb open through a little hose......I'm going motoring towards the gas station, will advise.......hoorahhh

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

If the manifold is plugged, plug the carb too. What that does is suck overflow gas into the engine.
      As for the choke - I have no idea how the engine worked without one before. If you have no choke cable, you'll need to be turning it by hand until you get one. The cheap NAPA cable will save money and last about a year before rusting solid, the $$$ Moyer cable is good for a decade or more.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• JDK
        • Apr 2016

It sounds different and is running smoother, I'm going to clean off the prop and top off my tank and take off headed inland before any further screwups can happen, freshwater marina here I come !!

Comment

• JDK
          • Apr 2016

I'v got a choke cable fine, the new carb has some thingy pressed onto it, it needs to vacate the hole so I can hook it right up and click on it's retaining ring....

Comment

• JDK
            • Apr 2016

I slogged along 2 miles against wind and current and waves dragging the jon and kayak behind.....it runs more or less like it did before when it wasn't acting up.....I decided to halt here as in the am I have tide going my way all day, I should be able to motorsail all the way inland, cross your fingers for me boys....I will now watch the last sunset on the open sea of this season.....cheers

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

JDK, In the field, you will need to learn to improvise...it sounds like your previous set up had a lot of 'non-standard' stuff going on that you had to overcome. Sometimes just taking a step back and sitting and thinking helps clear the head when you keep experiencing setbacks. On a boat, sometimes the schedule needs to be discarded so you can cautiously and safely think about the best solution to the immediate problem.

Good job getting it running!

I would recommend you try to figure out the 'no pictures' thing..they really help troubleshooting unique situations like this one.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• JDK
                • Apr 2016

Any picture I try to upload it says "error upload could not be completed"......they're HD......I'm on a smartphone so no shrinking or playing around possible....

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Understood..not sure how to solve that problem, except dumbing down the source pictures on the phone in your camera settings before taking them.
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• CajunSpike
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by JDK View Post
                    Yeah I guess I screwed up by not ordering a scavenge tube.
                    My boat didn't have a flame arrestor OR a scavenger tube. Got an arrestor off ebay.
                    As for the tube, went to Autozone and described the shape and function of the tube. They sent me to the wall display that had PCV tubes/valves. Found a ford pcv tube with the right shape/length and slightly larger tube size than exact fit. Bought a band clamp that fit the tube.

Brought parts back to the boat. As I suspected the small end of the tube was bigger than the connection on the motor, but after the band clamp was installed and tightened up, the tube fit firmly in place. It was perfect length and went into the carb exactly right.

Went to Azone website and looked. Not sure but I think Part Number 46042 is the closest I could find.

Another good job getting it running! Just went down that road myself.
                    Bill L.
                    1972 Ericson 27
                    Hull #61
                    Atomic 4

Comment

• romantic comedy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

Dont tell anyone but I ran a whole season with the scavenge tube not hooked to the manifold. I never noticed a difference and it has always started and run great. I had just forgot to screw the tube to the manifold...
                      Remember, Shhhhh.

Comment

• CajunSpike
                        • Jan 2018

On the later model engines, the rubber tube is just an EGR device to recirculate fumes in the block back to the carb. While you may get fumes in the cabin without it, there's no way it will make the motor run or not run on its own as far as I understand it.

If somebody wants a pic of how it came out on my boat, let me know. I'll take a close up.
                        Bill L.
                        1972 Ericson 27
                        Hull #61
                        Atomic 4

Comment

• romantic comedy
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by CajunSpike View Post
                          On the later model engines, the rubber tube is just an EGR device to recirculate fumes in the block back to the carb. While you may get fumes in the cabin without it, there's no way it will make the motor run or not run on its own as far as I understand it.

If somebody wants a pic of how it came out on my boat, let me know. I'll take a close up.
                          I think we are talking about 2 different things.
                          the scavenge tube is a small diameter tube (3/32?) that connects to the carb throat to suck up any liquid gas as a safety device, so that no gas leaks into the boat.

The rubber tube is just to send blow by from the crank case into the carb intake, as a form of pollution control. It really would not effect performance unless the blow by was extreme.

The scavenge tube connects to the manifold and is a small air leak. This could effect performance and effect jetting.

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

I suggest building on this experience and assembling a spare parts kit that you keep onboard including a variety of useful fasteners.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Scavenger tube for sale
                              Joe Della Barba
                              Coquina
                              C&C 35 MK I
                              Maryland USA

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                                • Jan 2007

JDK, the scavenge tube is nothing more than a short piece of 1/8 standard copper tubing with standard 1/8" NPT fittings to the carb and manifold. A very important safety feature!!!!!!!

For a temporary choke use anything that you can to "partially" block the carb. Something you could clamp around the carb and poke a pencil sized hole in it. Once she starts "pull" it back off. A piece of vinyl, leather or perhaps a beer can. Just rig a fastener that is easy to remove by hand. Duct tape.

You could also run the starter from the engine box and use your hand for the choke. Be sure to turn the ign on when wanted and off any other time.

Keep the water valve closed until she starts.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                                X