X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SailingSouth180
    • Feb 2013

Ok, Does this help??

I cant tell you all how impressed I am with the helpful hints and replies. I was working on my boat yesterday and took some pics of the motor. What do you all think?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SailingSouth180; 02-22-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

1. No choke cable
      2. Throttle cable broken and needs replacement
      3. Crankcase breather tube (aka slash tube) tube missing
      4. I want your carburetor
      5. That 2" sheet metal screw holding down the flame arrester is not first yacht quality

edits to follow as I see more.

6. The water temp sender wire running across that area of the manifold is a problem waiting to happen
      Last edited by ndutton; 02-22-2013, 01:19 PM.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

Late model, mechanical fuel pump. Slash tube ( the tube that runs from the block to the spark arrestor) is missing. This will allow fumes from the crank case to enter the engine compartment. Looks like a wood screw holding the spark arrestor in place??? Has the by-pass for the cooling system been abandoned? That could be a sign that the PO needed more water going thru the block and she may need a cooling system flush. May want to add a polishing filter in the fuel line from the pump to the carb. The MC had the same copper tube and I replaced it with fittings, fuel line and filter. None of this is big. All and all she looks pretty good. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• SailingSouth180
          • Feb 2013

Oh boy, thanks for the feedback, I am ordering the manual today so I can look at the problems you both are talking about so it makes sense. However I am going to write these problems down so I can address them when I learn more!

Comment

• SailingSouth180
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
            1. No choke cable
            2. Throttle cable broken and needs replacement
            3. Crankcase breather tube (aka slash tube) tube missing
            4. I want your carburetor
            5. That 2" sheet metal screw holding down the flame arrester is not first yacht quality

edits to follow as I see more.

6. The water temp sender wire running across that area of the manifold is a problem waiting to happen
            Is the carburetor bad?

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by SailingSouth180 View Post
              Is the carburetor bad?
              Heavens no! It appears to be a five bolt carb and I just went through a warpage issue with my four bolt. That 5th bolt has become my preference.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• hcrisp
                • Aug 2012

Carb

Also see brass retaining bolts on the aluminum carb housing.
                sigpic
                S/V Swimmer
                Bristol 27

Comment

• romantic comedy
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

Looks like a 4 bolt carb to me.

My carb is four bolt and warped badly. Someday I will buy a new 5 bolt one.

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

SS180...the picture thing is a double edge sword around here..you get the best and the worst..but everyone is really genuine, so don't worry.

As you can see, we immediately want to jump on the wrong/missing stuff, but if you have something cool, we all envy it.

For example..Neil wants your carb, but he likes electric fuel pumps. I, on the other hand, already have a spare carb, and I prefer the mechanical fuel pump like you have, so I hoard those. (OK, I only have two.)

195561 is a pretty late serial# motor, so you have one of the later of the originals. (by that I mean that Moyer Marine recently starting casting brand new engine blocks a year or so ago.)

If you look just to the left of the sheet metal screw holding down the flame arrestor to the carb in your pic, you will see two sets of numbers in the block..the raised (bottom) number is not as important (the 29xx)..but the less pronounced 6 digit number just above that should be the casting date of your block...

And RC...I am with you..I see a 4-bolt carb too..not sure what Neil is seeing.

To add to the "non-stock" modifications that I can see...I think I can see that someone prior to you removed the normal connection between the water jacket side plate and the stbd side of the t-stat housing. Moyer sells a nice valve to control that, and the point of having that valve is to force more cooling water into the block...but some flow thru there is needed on a raw water cooled engine to provide cooling water to the exhaust stream, while the rest of it goes thru the block/thermostat/manifold, etc. to cool the engine on its way to the exhaust stream.
                    Last edited by sastanley; 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM.
                    -Shawn
                    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                    sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

And RC...I am with you..I see a 4-bolt carb too..not sure what Neil is seeing.
                      Maybe it's more like what I want to see. Man, I'm seeing 5 bolt carbs in my sleep right now.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• SailingSouth180
                        • Feb 2013

Do you guys feel it would be wise to take the motor out; to replace parts etc? Or will it be fesible for me to work on what you're all talking about while in the cabin?

Comment

• roadnsky
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by SailingSouth180 View Post
                          Do you guys feel it would be wise to take the motor out; to replace parts etc? Or will it be fesible for me to work on what you're all talking about while in the cabin?
                          No, no need to take it out.
                          Everything we're talking about is pretty minor overall.

A lot of it can be done in a one day session, in fact.
                          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                          sigpic
                          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ILikeRust
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Sep 2010

You can do a lot working on the engine in place, if you're willing to occasionally turn your head upside-down and arch your back over the engine like a contortionist.

But seriously, the stuff identified so far in no way justifies the effort of taking the engine out.
                            - Bill T.
                            - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• SailingSouth180
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
                              You can do a lot working on the engine in place, if you're willing to occasionally turn your head upside-down and arch your back over the engine like a contortionist.

But seriously, the stuff identified so far in no way justifies the effort of taking the engine out.
                              LOL ok thanks, I will be on the boat all day tomorrow working. So I will take my notes that I have been taking from you guys and try and learn a little!

Comment

• CalebD
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2007

Sc180

Take another picture of the other side of the engine where the side plate is that allows cooling water into the block. The water pump is also at the very back of the engine. Also take another picture of your shaft, transmission and stuffing box from on top (looking astern).
                                While you are at it take a pic of your raw water intake thru hull valve, gas tank fuel shut off valve (petcock) and whatever fuel filters are in the gas line.
                                I think that is only about 6 more pictures to complete the picture!
                                :G
                                Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                                A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

Working...
                                X