X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vabiker23518
    • Feb 2007

Water Leak from Pump?

I replaced the impeller and installed the "new" backing plate this weekend on my FWC 76 Colombia 8.7. I can't see a leak from the pump, but after a one hour test run at dock, there was water/antifreeze in the bilge. Next time down I'll carry a mirror and try to see under the back of the engine.
    A couple questions:
    There is a silver tube that extends from the engine under the water pump. What is this and how tight should it be?
    The new backing plate came with two small gaskets; I only installed one thinking the other must be a spare. Should I have installed both?
    How tight should I tighten the small knob that holds the grease to lube the impeller shaft?
    thanks for your help,
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

vabiker,
    The tube you see is a drain for the block. Mine rusted out and was epoxied to the engine for a while & it probably leaked. It should be tight enough to not leak. I installed a new one (larger because I had to re-tap threads) & used teflon tape on the threads after I noticed the cap dripping a little bit. To avoid damage to my old rusty block, I held the pipe still with vice grips before tightening the drain cap.

I also just discovered a leak at the grease cup attachment to the pump. I will have to tighten mine up, and I think I'll remove it and add some thread sealer or something to that as well. I did that on all my barbed fittings, but I do not recall doing that on the grease cup & it is now leaking. This is possibly the source for your antifreeze leak or it could be the block drain mentioned above, or the plate on the pump.

Sorry I can't help you with the plate, I still have the older style with 4 screws and a paper gasket.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X