• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • celtic sea
    • Oct 2012

Lost reverse

Hello
    It's been a fast summer and pulled our Ericson 27 out on the hard for winter, the atomic 4 & the transmission(1973) worked great all season. Tried to back out of the slip this morning and no reverse? Managed out and headed to the travel lift area and tried it a couple more times and nothing, forward worked fine. Here we go. Looks like I'll be busy on the forum here again. Someone told me a place in Boston has transmissions (used I assume) just change out. Does anyone know about rebuilts available?
    Hate to pull everything out and install new.
    Thanks
    John
    Celtic Sea
    Ericson 1973 27' A4
  • Ball Racing
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2011

Check shifter linkage and cables first.
    Then check band adjustment.
    Try putting in reverse without the cables hooked up.
    Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
    Daniel

Comment

• celtic sea
      • Oct 2012

Ya, thanks next Saturday will be there to run some antifreeze through, I'll check cables first thing, the shift seemed normal and I heard the transmission noise I normally hear when shifted in.
      John

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Ball racing has good points...do that.

Celtic you probably won't need a replacement. If it was working well before, works in forward an adjustment is likely necessary. Realize you are heading down to winterize. Might be a good opportunity to check and set up the reversing gear as necessary while running freshwater through the engine. Just ensure someone is outside to ensure no one goes near the prop while you are doing it on the hard.

If it was a gradual getting worse thing...likely adjustment. If sudden, likely linkage or key...sometimes a key can go and there will be enough "grab" to give you some forward. Just check everything. If the linkage and key seems fine remove the top plate and go through the adjustment procedure.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• celtic sea
          • Oct 2012

Thanks great info. It was sudden. I assume if I find nothing obvious external, next is to take that "tombstone" cover off. The key? External?
          John

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by celtic sea View Post
            Thanks great info. It was sudden. I assume if I find nothing obvious external, next is to take that "tombstone" cover off. The key? External?
            John
            Check linkage first...sounds like linkage. The key is in the drive shaft /coupler area. Put the shifter in forward and try to turn the prop by hand...if it turns the key is likely the problem
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• celtic sea
              • Oct 2012

I'll keep posted what I find next trip to the boat.
              Fortunately I only live 15min.from the marina.
              I definitely plan on repairing the clutch/transmission (whatever I find, I assume there are parts available?) & upgrading/tuning up the motor, not to mention replacing the four thru-hulls with proper seacocks and new hoses.& the list goes on...
              John

Comment

• roadnsky
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by celtic sea View Post
                ...I definitely plan on repairing the clutch/transmission (whatever I find, I assume there are parts available?) & upgrading/tuning up the motor, not to mention replacing the four thru-hulls with proper seacocks and new hoses.& the list goes on...
                John-
                Parts available right here on this site by our sponsor.
                Not to mention a really good video on the reversing gear (transmission) for just $12

-Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                sigpic
                1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• celtic sea
                  • Oct 2012

Thanks
                  Looks like I'm in!. Great forum here! Tks.
                  Just need to get busy now!
                  LOL
                  John

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Great advice guys

Celtic John, BOTH ends of the shift cable need checking to be certain the outer sheath does not move. If you reach a point that the gear cover must be removed, know that the internal reverse linkage is a completely different mechanism and arm than forward. This is where the video could be the best $12 you ever spent. Recognizing proper reverse mechanism function, proper adjustment, the recently discussed adjustment nut locking spring clip integrity, all are possibilities.

Losing reverse must have been exciting. It never happens at a good time.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• celtic sea
                      • Oct 2012

I checked the catalog, wow you can rebuild the whole thing, lotts of parts.
                      Is there a detailed diagram available for this clutch?
                      John

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Have you studied Chapter 6 of your MMI Service and Overhaul Manual?
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• celtic sea
                          • Oct 2012

Looks like the first thing I need to buy. Third year with this motor and still haven't bought it yet. Thanks for reminding me, I assume there is some diagrams there.
                          John

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

No diagrams but plenty of annotated pictures and excellent descriptive text. I can't imagine the amount of work Don put into the manual.

My interpretation is you're expecting a rebuild or replacement of the reversing gear but like the others, my bet is on the actuating linkage, a much simpler repair. Acquiring reverse is merely cinching a brake band around the gear case. The internal clutch disks are in play only in forward and are released in reverse.

Looking forward to what you find.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• tenders
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

I seriously doubt your transmission went from perfect to puked just like that. I don't think you're even going to need to open the engine. Sounds to me like you have a cable in need of adjusting, or the cable has slipped off its anchoring point at the hand shifter end, or the engine end.

Before you do anything else, put the engine in reverse with the cockpit shifter, then go below and see how much farther you can throw the engine lever by hand. You'll probably see it can go farther than the shift cable will move it, for whatever reason (that you are going to fix). Then disconnect the cable from the engine--mine uses a simple clevis pin through a yoke, it takes 15 seconds. Then shift the lever forward and backwards by hand to get a feel for the throw of the lever between forward and reverse. Then figure out what is wrong with the cable.

Comment

Working...
                              X