• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailor Ron
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jun 2011

Engine shut down abruptly

My A4 cut out abruptly when under power for about 30 minutes. When I put a jumper across the oil pressure safety switch terminals I found that electrical fuel pump did not make usual clicking sound. So i replaced fuel pump but no change. Then replaced coil and no change. Replaced leads from starter to oil pressure switch no change.

Finally, ran a jumper wire from +ve on battery directly to fuel pump and engine ran.
    When I got back to the dock 1.5 hours later I disconnected the jumper wire and engine died immediately.
    Advice please,
    Ron
    1980 A4
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Ignition switch failure?? Lost power source to the ign switch? The jumper backfed the ignition circuit.

I replace mine every other year on principle. It's a regular maintenance item for me.
    Last edited by ndutton; 08-07-2012, 12:11 AM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Hi Ron,
      Neil Dutton is on right now and he is up to speed on all that...should hear from him shortly I'd think. Ignition or switch I'm thinking but it's been so long that I've had a problem.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

Ron

Run a jumper wire from the big terminal on the starter to coil +. This will bypass the boats wiring and you will be able to figure out if the boats wiring or something with the engine is the problem.

Do not leave this wire connected and hot for more than a couple of minutes without the engine running or you will fry the coil.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
        X