X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbyham
    • Jan 2013

First oil change surprise

Early model a4 with orig hand pump on port side between carb and fuel pump. Tan engine to warm oil. Checked stick which showed 1/2 qt down. Hooked up some rubber tubing to catch old oil in basin. Pump worked fine though slow. :-) until after just about one qt I started getting air. Pulled stick and she was dry. I was surprised as I expected 5 or so qt. Any idea where rest of oil is and how to get it out? Don't want to add new til I get all old out. Thanks...
  • tenders
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

For what it's worth I can only get about three and a half quarts out of my engine, using a "Topsider" hand vacuum pump (not a factory-installed pump like yours).

Some things to think about:
    * Are you certain your pump is working? Seals intact, etc.
    * Can you see more oil in the sump via the dipstick hole or oil fill hole?
    * If you use a different pump and extract through the dipstick hole or oil fill hole, can you get anything else out?
    * Is the engine sitting at an unusual angle fore-and-aft, so the oil may be pooled unnaturally far from the pump intake?
    * What's the level on the dipstick if you add a quart of clean oil (or put a quart of dirty oil back into the engine)?

Comment

• old-sailer
      • Nov 2011

I use the vacuum pump also. I stick the hose down the dip stick to start and draw out what I can and then I stick it in the oil filler and draw out some more. I can usually manage 4 litres.
      Mike
      1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

shop-vac extraction.

I just put my second shop-vac into service. I tape a tube around the hose and shove it down the oil extraction port....takes about 30 seconds to suck it all out. I'm on my second shop vac in 6 yrs....My son, BSc (BS Degree) couldn't figure out that the different tone of the motor meant it was obstructed...sucked plastic from the truck of his car and it got up around and obstructed air that cooled the motor in the one I normally use...burned up the motor. So my backup is now in service and it saves allot of time.

I've tried the drill pump and the vacuum pump....shop vac is less expensive, easier to drain, and much faster. FWIW.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• old-sailer
          • Nov 2011

And the oil should lube the motor....

Originally posted by Mo View Post
          I just put my second shop-vac into service. I tape a tube around the hose and shove it down the oil extraction port....takes about 30 seconds to suck it all out. I'm on my second shop vac in 6 yrs....My son, BSc (BS Degree) couldn't figure out that the different tone of the motor meant it was obstructed...sucked plastic from the truck of his car and it got up around and obstructed air that cooled the motor in the one I normally use...burned up the motor. So my backup is now in service and it saves allot of time.

I've tried the drill pump and the vacuum pump....shop vac is less expensive, easier to drain, and much faster. FWIW.
          Mike
          1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Rbyham View Post
            Early model a4 with orig hand pump on port side between carb and fuel pump. Tan engine to warm oil. Checked stick which showed 1/2 qt down. Hooked up some rubber tubing to catch old oil in basin. Pump worked fine though slow. :-) until after just about one qt I started getting air. Pulled stick and she was dry. I was surprised as I expected 5 or so qt. Any idea where rest of oil is and how to get it out? Don't want to add new til I get all old out. Thanks...

What kind of oil dip stick do you have - is it the original early model with 4 separate marks for different angles engine mounting?

Comment

Working...
            X