X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • meander
    • Jun 2005

mechanical vs electric fuel pump?

I am considering switching over from a mechanical fuel pump to an electric one. I'm wondering which is more reliable.

Thanks,
    Will Hicks
    Meander
    1975 Tartan 30
  • Triton#335
    Frequent Contributor
    • Dec 2005

Don,

I have the same question. Reviving an A4 that has not run in 3 years. Good compression and spark, but no fuel. Water got into the mechanical fuel pump and it is now corroded beyond salvage. Time to replace entire unit.

What are your thoughts on electric vs. mechanical? I did note that your rebuilds come with an electric pump.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave Cutter
    Triton #335 Sausalito built--masthead rig.
    www.triton335.blogspot.com

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

With the availability of repair parts for mechanical pumps, including new upper housings, our position is that both pumps now enjoy equal (good) reliability.

Not surprisingly, our customers seem to be equally divided between the two types of pump, and it appears to us that most people choose one type of pump over the other simply on personal preference for the mechanical or electrical concept.

The fact that the mechanical pump does not require electricity to operate, along with the ability to operate the mechanical pump with a manual priming lever, appeals to some folks, while access problems in getting to the fuel pump corner of the engine will sometimes swing the pendulum in favor of a bulkhead-mounted electrical fuel pump, simply because it's easer to access the pump for service.

Don

Comment

• Triton#335
        Frequent Contributor
        • Dec 2005

Mechanical it is then. Electrons never seem to flow well on my 43 year old project! Thanks, Don.
        Dave Cutter
        Triton #335 Sausalito built--masthead rig.
        www.triton335.blogspot.com

Comment

• rigspelt
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2008

This thread is two years old, and an update would be helpful since I am now in this quandry. Our boat has the original mechanical fuel pump. I checked it using Don's info and find that the upper housing is warped (sediment bowl rocks), but visually it seems warped up not down. I would prefer not to try to unwarp it. The sediment bowl and lower housing seem OK, no obvious signs of damage or corrosion externally, but I don't know how to determine the condiition of the lower housing for sure. The tradeoffs are security, peace of mind and cost. Engine-mounted is preferrable in my situation.

The options I have settled on:
          1. Rebuild the lower unit with the MMI kit and buy a new MMI upper ($175 cheapest).
          2. Buy an all new mechanical ($330 most expensive).
          3. Buy a new electric kit ($188 middle).

Q1. Mechanical appeals to me because it seems so simple, but I am not afraid of electrical stuff either, although it would be nice not to have to add so many potential failure points (wires, connections, oil pressure safety switch). Then again, replacing an electric pump is easier than rebuilding a mechanical pump on a cruise. Is it a 50-50 call on the security and peace of mind issues, leaving only cost?

Q2. The electric pump does not have a sediment bowl. Given that I have a fuel/water separator filter upstream, how desirable is the sediment bowl feature that comes with the mechanical pump?
          Attached Files
          1974 C&C 27

Comment

• Cellnav
            • Aug 2008

Re Fuel pumps

A factor to consider is the failure mode of the mechanical pump. Mine leaked internally and filled the crankcase with gas. We we're spending the night on the boat and had to sleep on deck to avoid the fumes. Needless to say we didn't cook breakfast on the stove and had to be towed home. An electric pump just quits working.

Mike
            Last edited by Cellnav; 09-09-2008, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• MikeB.330
              • Jun 2006

Rigspelt,

I have an almost brand new Moyer mechanical for sale in the, well for sale forum. I'll bump it up to the top.

BTW: It looks like MMI has a had a slight price increase .

Mike

Comment

Working...
              X