X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fstued
    • Jan 2014

poor prop engagement?

I recently wrapped a line around my prop shaft which as you would expect stalled the motor. I got towed since I was right off the dock and dove on it the next day to clear it, 4 wrapped on the shaft. I didn't think after clearing it there would be any problems. Wrong!
    I took the boat out a few days latter Reverse worked great. I went to forward and at low RPMs, 1000 no problem but when I pushed it up to 1500 or 2000 the boat had no go I would only motor along at about 2.5 kn usually at 1500 I could hold 5 to 6kn no problem.
    Anybody have a clue what could be happening
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Sounds like your clutch pack is slipping. Probably got spun when the prop stopped abruptly but the engine kept going for a moment.

You should be able to readjust the clutch pressure with the notched adjusting wheel inside the reversing gear casing. Take off the flat lid, loosen the retaining screw, and tighten the notched wheel by one notch. CAREFULLY tighten the retaining screw, being ABSOLUTELY sure it is going into one of the notches on the adjuster, and not hitting a tooth. If you try to tighten on top of a tooth, you will shear off the ear that the retaining screw is threaded into.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X