X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bmoore1974
    • May 2012

No power in forward gear

Hello. I am new to the group, but have been reading your posts for a while now. Hope fully your wisdom can help me. I have a late model A4 in my 1978 Columbia. I have always had power issues but for now.

First prob: I can rev the motor with no problem when not in gear. When I put it in forward gear It will not rev no matter how much I throttle up.

Second Prob: It is a hard start when cold. It will not start until it gets warmed bye me trying to start it. (don't want to burn out my starter)

Unfortunately I do not have a tach, but plan on installing one today after work. I was told bye a mechanic friend of mine that I could have a choke issue. I will be grateful for any other advice.
    Thanks
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place, as these guys here know more about the A4 than Universal did when they were still building them!

Your symptoms (poor power, hard start) all sound like fuel starvation. Could be caused by many things. A few likely ones are:

1) Dirty carb - one of the commonest A4 problems. You may have some crud stuck in the main jet.

2) Bad fuel pump - Pumps just enough fuel to idle, but no power.

3) clogged fuel filter(s)

Other non-fuel related possibilities are:

4) Bad timing - you said you've always had a power problem. Perhaps the timing's off, or the points or advance springs are bad.

5) Bad coil - A failing coil can often mimic fuel symptoms.

Does it run smoothly when out of gear, or is it missing some? If it's missing, it could be bad plugs or plug wires.

Keep the information coming, and we'll get you up and running.
    Last edited by edwardc; 05-16-2012, 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• ArtJ
      • Sep 2009

one or two fouled or non firing plugs could cause this situation.

Regards

Art

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Fouled prop?

Comment

• Bold Rascal
          • Mar 2011

Won't rev in forward?

But does rev in nuetral? I'm with 67c, and would be checking everything associated with it..

Welcome to the forum!
          Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
          1973 Pearson 33
          1967 Bristol 27
          sigpic

Comment

• marthur
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2004

You have some excellent suggestions. FYI: we had exactly the same problem the year we purchased our boat. A jet in the carb was blocked with small bits of rubber from either the fuel line or the fuel pump--both were in need of replacing and both were replaced.

Good Luck!
            Mike

Comment

• bmoore1974
              • May 2012

What a weekend!!

Well I took all of your suggestions. I replaced the plugs, cleaned the carb, changed my oil, confirmed the timing, the motor was running strong, but still not much power in forward, but it was enough to get off the dock so I took her out for the holiday weekend. Once I was in cleaner water swimming around I discovered that the real problem was actually several barnacles on the prop. I cleaned the bottom and I was back in business. Full power in forward and reverse. Chugging along at around 6 knots no problem. Until I lost forward gear all together. The shaft will not turn in forward, and there is no feeling of any king when I push the shifter forward. Here we go again....
              I got towed in, but still had a great time.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Nov 2008

Start your diagnosis by disconnecting the shift linkage at the trany and shift by hand.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Yup..I am guessing the cable broke. See if you can shift it at the motor with no cable attached. The P.O. of my boat slapped on a pair of vice grips and finished out the season that way..but he had good access to the back of the motor.
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X