• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

DITTO

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
    I'm pleased to report that with my electronic ignition, substandard Flamethrower® coil protected by a 0.885Ω ballast resistor and 14.2V alternator output I have enjoyed trouble free operation for 5 years...
    I have the same setup as Neil and have 7 years of trouble free now.
    Attached Files
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Add:
      35 amp 13.8 volt alternators replaced with bigger alternators and different voltage regulator settings. System voltages now are frequently in the 14.2-14.8 volt range.

Bad original wiring with a lot of voltage drop replaced (i.e. happy accident of 30 feet of thin alternator wire was long coil life )

These coils no longer used in current cars. I cannot prove it, but I suspect a lot of them are now made by second and third tier manufacturers. Our original coil lasted for 15 years of heavy use. A follow-on effect is that the local parts guy doesn't know 4 ohms from 3 Stooges. Our local Western Auto is an exception, if you start asking for coils that don't need a resistor the parts guy says "Atomic 4, right"

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
      So Bryan, the short answer is that often with a switch to electronic ignition, you start frying coils...they should run for 45-60 minutes after they cool down, but once they are fried, they are unreliable even for testing.

What was determined was some external resistance is needed in front of the coil, unless you get the Moyer coil now offered in the store which has enough internal resistance to handle the issues discussed in all those threads. What I think we all realized was the extended dwell from an instant on/off electronic ignition was allowing the voltage in the coil to build up in between sparks and short itself out...with points, this was not an issue.

It has been a while, so if I screwed something up in my short story analysis, I am sure I'll get corrected.
      Last edited by joe_db; 11-05-2016, 01:57 PM.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Neil, "Saturation" was the word I was looking for when I was typing but couldn't come up with it, thanks.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
          Neil, "Saturation" was the word I was looking for when I was typing but couldn't come up with it, thanks.
          It's a team effort pal. Seems I'm still a little sensitive when voltage enters the discussion. Voltage has it's place in the mix though.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

There might have been a couple beers involved on a Friday night in the garage while trying to be an armchair quarterback!
            Last edited by sastanley; 11-05-2016, 09:50 PM.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• Bryan Howell
              • Oct 2004

Shawn, thanks for the explanation. I was a bit puzzled why the electronic ignition would cause coil failures. I "kind of" understand your explanation.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bryan Howell View Post
                I was a bit puzzled why the electronic ignition would cause coil failures. I "kind of" understand your explanation.
                I'll attempt to explain it in slightly different words.
                If to many amps flow throughout the coil primary winding over a period of time the coil will over heat and become damaged. The period of time is fixed with an electronic ignition and is ~ two times the period of time that current flows through the primary winding when points are used. So if one uses a coil designed for points the coil might over heat when an electronic ignition is used.
                Amps (current flow) are directly proportional to volts and inversely proportional to resistance. If you have a coil with insufficient internal resistance you can add a reister before the coil to boost the total primary resistance or buy a coil that has the proper resistance. This will reduce the amp flow over the "period of time".
                Since amps are directly proportional to volts it is important to check the voltage output of the alternator and put that into the equation also. Said another way even with the correct resistance if the voltage to the coil is to high the coil will burn out anyway.
                Discussion: There is a balance here. Not enough amps through the coil and the spark plugs will fire weakly or not at all. To many amps through the coil and the coil will become heat damaged. If you follow the advice given you will have many hours of happy motoring.
                Coil heat damage is cumulative. The best thing to do with a heat damaged coil is deep six it. If you need a spare buy a new one. IMO an unreliable spare is no spare at all.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
                  I have the same setup as Neil and have 7 years of trouble free now.
                  Point of mathematical accuracy: are you saying you had a ballast resistor in 2009, two years before we slogged through the coil studies??
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• roadnsky
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

Point of mathematical accuracy: are you saying you had a ballast resistor in 2009, two years before we slogged through the coil studies??

Nope, bought the coil in '09 but copied your setup () in 2012.
                    So, the coil is 7'ish but the resistor "setup" is a bit over 4 years.
                    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                    sigpic
                    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

I have always been slightly frustrated that neither Moyer nor Indigo have investigated the more advanced versions of the ignitions they source that DO reduce dwell at lower RPMs.
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                        I have always been slightly frustrated that neither Moyer nor Indigo have investigated the more advanced versions of the ignitions they source that DO reduce dwell at lower RPMs.
                        Why not try it yourself? For the late model Delco distributor the Pertronix P/N is 91146A. For a fair test you should use their recommended Flamethrower® coil too.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

I may do that, but I also may have another ignition project in mind. I'll post that in a separate thread.

Why not try it yourself? For the late model Delco distributor the Pertronix P/N is 91146A. For a fair test you should use their recommended Flamethrower® coil too.
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                          X