• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cometchamp@comcast.net
    • Oct 2011

first time on Moyer site need info

Hi all,
    I just bought a new to me Tartan 30c 1975 with a A4.
    The engine was rebuilt 5 years ago and has less than 100 hours on the rebuilt motor , the boat was put on dry dock 3 years ago and not used since. The A4 was winterized that one time 3 years ago. what should i do to prepare to start to turn her over and see that she will be trouble free in the spring?
    Never worked on one before. Thanks Russ
  • TomG
    Afourian MVP Emeritus
    • Nov 2010

I would start here:
    Tom
    "Patina"
    1977 Tartan 30
    Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the forum! You'll find the folks here always ready to help.

One of the first things you should get is the Moyer Marine Service and Overhaul Manual:

It is an invaluable resource in keeping your A4 running.
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• jpian0923
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Take some pictures for us, and/or video, and post it here. Upload video to youtube.com and link it here. Pictures can be posted directly on the forum.

Do you know the previous owner? If so, was he a forum member? If so, can you find out his forum name? We might know him/her from the forum. This may only be me but, I like to know things like this.
        "Jim"
        S/V "Ahoi"
        1967 Islander 29
        Harbor Island, San Diego
        2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• cometchamp@comcast.net
          • Oct 2011

Thanks, jim & tom

The Tartan is a great boat, yes i do know the old owner thats how i aquired her, Her name is Total Relif. I raced on her as crew for 8 years got a great deal, all major components new , Gas tank water system, cooling system, sails all racing ,just a few years old, just needs some deck work and cleaning. she will be i Newburyport, Mass. next spring, I will post some pics when i get a chance, i need all the help i can get, Thanks She might need some exaust work what do you recomend?
          Russ.

Comment

• jpian0923
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

Some around here prefer black pipe. I prefer a water jacketed mixing elbow. Mostly because I tried the black pipe/galvanized pipe approach but had bad exhaust leaks and water leaks. In the pic is my mixing elbow and a mocked up pipe exhaust to replicate the mixing elbow dimensions. The choice is yours. With pipe, you have to wrap the hot section.

In this thread http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4888 you can see several examples of both.
            Attached Files
            "Jim"
            S/V "Ahoi"
            1967 Islander 29
            Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• Joesailboater
              • Aug 2010

This thread has some good discussion on standpipes. MM offers a new version of the old Tartan standpipe exhaust system. I think it's superior to the waterlift due the fact that it makes it difficult to get water in the block when over cranking.

[URL="http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4602&highlight=fouled+plugs"]

Comment

• jpian0923
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

Most certainly you need the Tartan standpipe, but, don't give up on what you have. I soaked my mixing elbow in a muriatic acid solution for a month while I tried to cobble together a black pipe/ galvanized pipe exhaust system ( and complete other overhaul type work.) after a month my old system was clear of obstruction. Yes, Moyer has them for $460, get it from them if you can't restore what you have.
                "Jim"
                S/V "Ahoi"
                1967 Islander 29
                Harbor Island, San Diego

Comment

• smosher
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2006

I live in Salisbury and I keep my boat in Salem. I have constructed a black pipe exhaust, not too difficult on the P30. Amesbury supply is a great place for hardware.

Where in Newburyport will she be ?

Steve

Comment

• TomG
                    Afourian MVP Emeritus
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cometchamp@comcast.net View Post
                    She might need some exaust work what do you recomend?
                    Russ.
                    Russ,

I have a T-30 also. If you are looking at exhaust work, "eat the frog" as we say and install the Moyer SS Standpipe for Tartans.

One of the design issues with the T-30s that use waterlifts is that the engine sits so low in the boat, there is precious little drop between the exhaust manifold out and the waterlift in. This is why so many T-30s have water backing up into the exhaust manifold during hard-starting. As I understand it, the Tartan 30s (and 34s) were originally fitted with standpipes. Over time, and with cheaper and readily available waterlifts, most of the boats were refitted with the standard waterlift as the standpipes reached the end of thier useful lives. Thankfully for us Tartan owners, Don and crew revived the standpipe especially for our design.

The Moyer SS Standpipe for Tartans is not cheap. You would certainly be able to install a fiberglass waterlift much more cheaply. It is my opinion that, due to the unique design requirements of our boats, the waterlift will eventually disappoint you if doesn't completely frustrate you and cause you water intrusion issues, most likely at cylinders 3 and 4. Spend a little now to save a lot tomorrow. I most highly recommend the MMI Standpipe.

I managed the short hot-section from 1 1/4 black iron pipe. I had all the pieces cut to length and threaded at my local Home Depot for less than $15. The 45's and elbows were extra. I then cleaned, sanded, and painted the hot section with High-Temp exhaust paint and then wrapped it with hot section exhaust wrap insulation. Here is a quick thread on my install.

New MMI "Tartan" SS Standpipe Install
                    Tom
                    "Patina"
                    1977 Tartan 30
                    Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

Working...
                    X