• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Slight Leak At Facet Output

A month or so ago I installed a Moyer polishing filter between the fuel pump and carburetor. All was well. A couple of weeks ago I decided to do one more check just to be sure. All looked well. I felt around the various hose connections. All were dry except the fuel pump output hose connection. Smelled my finger. It's fuel. Can't see it but it is leaking. No dripping. The fuel evaporates before it forms a drop.
    Tightened the double clamps as much as I dare. That slowed it down but it is still leaking. Tried a bit of permatex #2. Made a mess but didn't work.
    Access between limited to impossible. My back muscles go into spasms just thinking about trying to get back in there with tools.
    I would like to try one more time to seal the leak externally by putting something around the hose where it meets the barb and not have to take the hose off. Any ideas what to try next? It needs to be rubber friendly but fuel proof.

TRUE GRIT
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

John, I have never found putting something on the outside of a leaky joint to be satisfactory. Further, from your description I'd consider relocating the Facet to an accessible location as part of this repair. One of the charms of an electric fuel pump is it can be mounted anywhere as long as it's within 12" of the engine to stay in the good graces of the USCG. That means 12" in front of the engine is compliant.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JDK
      • Apr 2016

I'm just curious, what is the exact reasoning behind the 12 inch rule ??

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by JDK View Post
        I'm just curious, what is the exact reasoning behind the 12 inch rule ??
        Here is what our resource in the Standards forum category has to say about it:
        FEDERAL LAW:
        §183.566 Fuel pumps: Placement.

Each fuel pump must be on the engine it serves or within 12 inches of the engine, unless it is a fuel pump used to transfer fuel between tanks. Most engines are equipped by the engine manufacturer with a fuel pump as an installed engine component. For engines that are not so equipped, a remote fuel pump, usually electric, may be used.

In order to keep the length of the pressurized portion of the fuel distribution line at a minimum, it is required that a remote fuel pump be installed within 12-inches of the engine. The 12-inches are measured directly to the engine, not along the fuel line. Pumps used to transfer fuel from one tank to another may be installed in other locations, and are not required to be within 12 inches of the engine.
        edit: I dunno about the rest of you but I think the ABYC & USCG Standards forum category is one of the better additions in recent years (thanks Bill). I cannot think of another boating related forum with such a resource at their fingertips.
        Last edited by ndutton; 07-31-2016, 10:44 PM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Thinking you may have a bad polishing filter with a crack in it. To do the job once, I'd go with another filter and a new piece of hose. Certainly shouldn't leak, and the clamp isn't to make a seal - just to hold things in place. The knob on the filter should make the seal by itself.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            • Nov 2008

Al
            It's leaking at the fuel pump, not the filter.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
              • May 2010

I wonder if the upper (pump output) fitting is seeping at the threads? Did it get moved around a bit while putting on the new filter? The other possibility is that you scored the brass hose barb by using a utility knife to cut the previous hose off - DAMHIKT - even though I know better....
              Jeff

sigpic
              S/V Bunny Planet
              1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

I was thinking odds are good the barb itself is leaking where it screws into the pump.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BunnyPlanet169 View Post
                  The other possibility is that you scored the brass hose barb by using a utility knife to cut the previous hose off - DAMHIKT - even though I know better....
                  It's a brand new polishing filter "kit" and a brand new fuel pump from Moyer. It's like I'm trying to fit a 5/16" hose to a 1/4" barb.

I've down this road before. The barb for the hose from the manifold to the exhaust system used to leak at the point where water is injected. I never could stop it. When I rebuilt the hot section I replaced the barb. I measured the barb it was 1/2". While I was on the way to the store to get a new one all of a suddenly I remembered the hose is 5/8" - the light bulb went off. I knew why it leaked and I could never stop it.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                    • May 2010

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                    It's like I'm trying to fit a 5/16" hose to a 1/4" barb.
                    TRUE GRIT
                    Have you measured? Just sayin'. Even MMI could get the wrong barb in the wrong bag....
                    Jeff

sigpic
                    S/V Bunny Planet
                    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      • Nov 2008

Do It Right - Do It Once

After a bit of reflection I've come to realize that Mickey Moussing around and trying to repair the leak externally is not the way to go.
                      I'm going to overhaul the entire leaking area and fix it once and for all.
                      Does anybody happen to know what the male thread size of the fitting that screws into the Facet fuel pump? I know the female thread size, where the barb fits into is 1/8" but don't know the male size.
                      The plan is to go to the boat with all the parts in hand and do a shotgun parts replacement.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                        • May 2010

Totally agree on the non-rodent approach.

But I'm a little confused. Both my ports are 1/8 female NPT. My hose is 5/16 barb.
                        Attached Files
                        Jeff

sigpic
                        S/V Bunny Planet
                        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by BunnyPlanet169 View Post
                          Totally agree on the non-rodent approach. But I'm a little confused. Both my ports are 1/8 female NPT. My hose is 5/16 barb.
                          Thanks Jeff. When I fix the leak I want to do what you did on your fuel pump - barb on the fitting that goes into the pump port.

Back story: When I bought the new fuel pump there were no fittings in the pump inlet and outlet ports. I was advised to just remove the fittings in the ports on the old pump and transfer them to the new pump. This is what I did. I didn't pay any attention to thread size. Then an elbow barb, a separate piece, fits into a threaded hole in this fitting in the pump output. The leak could be between these two pieces.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
                          X