X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garry D
    • Aug 2022

Atomic four self destruct

I was stuck on a sand bar. Was using full power on my atomic four. It started spitting steam out the exhaust, heard a snap, and engine quit. Went below oil smoke coming out of the oil fill cap.Tried to restart, and it started, but loud clunking was heard. Forward to today, thinking i broke a rod or piston. Using a camera, checked piston heads through spark plug hole. All pistons went up and down without issue or noise. Piston heads look steam cleaned, wish I could post pictures but cant figure it out. So im sure i either cracked the head, or blew a head gasket. But the metallic clunking noise is a mystery. Anyone have any ideas. Its being removed in the spring for repair and replace. Spun a bearing possibly
  • zellerj
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2005

When stuck on a sand bar with my stern facing boat traffic a large wake hit my stern and pushed water up my exhaust hose, filling the water lift muffler, and water got into my cylinders. I then found water in the oil. After a few oil changes all was well. Whether a wake or waves, slapping against the stern can lead to issues. Could have this type of scenario happened to you?
    Jim Zeller
    1982 Catalina 30
    Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

A spun bearing should result in zero oil pressure (do you have a working gauge?) and give a sickening engine knock. A compression test and a water jacket pressure test would provide a lot of information.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

If a rod was broke that piston would not go down but could go up but stay up if the rod was broken at the wrist pin. As all four pistons are clean the water probably came in somewhere other that the head gasket. If the loud crack noise was metallic in nature the crank could of broke. Sometimes depending on where a crank breaks both "ends" can still rotate and even allow the engine to run a bit. However on a two bearing crank like the A-4 it is unlikely but still possible. I have seen more than a few V-8's run with a broken crank.
        Hopefully it is a spun bearing but either way the engine will need to be torn down.

Good luck.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Garry D
          • Aug 2022

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          A spun bearing should result in zero oil pressure (do you have a working gauge?) and give a sickening engine knock. A compression test and a water jacket pressure test would provide a lot of information.
          Well the oil smoke coming out of the breather cap made me figure I lost oil pressure. A spun bearing seems the likely problem. Just bought a replacement crank and rods. For spring. No time to check oil pressure it stalled immediately.It did restart but like you said sickening knock. Thanks for your response

Comment

• Garry D
            • Aug 2022

Originally posted by zellerj View Post
            When stuck on a sand bar with my stern facing boat traffic a large wake hit my stern and pushed water up my exhaust hose, filling the water lift muffler, and water got into my cylinders. I then found water in the oil. After a few oil changes all was well. Whether a wake or waves, slapping against the stern can lead to issues. Could have this type of scenario happened to you?
            Been there done that twice. Marina was the last culprit. Told them not to just sit and crank on it. Didnt tell me, and it had water in the oil. I put a flapper on my exhaust outlet in the spring. Thanks for responding

Comment

• Garry D
              • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
              If a rod was broke that piston would not go down but could go up but stay up if the rod was broken at the wrist pin. As all four pistons are clean the water probably came in somewhere other that the head gasket. If the loud crack noise was metallic in nature the crank could of broke. Sometimes depending on where a crank breaks both "ends" can still rotate and even allow the engine to run a bit. However on a two bearing crank like the A-4 it is unlikely but still possible. I have seen more than a few V-8's run with a broken crank.
              Hopefully it is a spun bearing but either way the engine will need to be torn down.

Good luck.

Dave Neptune
              Thanks for responding Dave think a rebuild is in order for the spring. I was supprised when all the pistons moved. Bought a good crank and rods for the machine shop to redo

Comment

Working...
              X