X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Cogan
    • Jan 2008

Neutral???

As I continue to "mess" with my hybrid engine, in my driveway, (and continue to annoy my neighbors) it has occurred to me that the drive doesn't seem to have a neutral. I can make it go forward and reverse but no matter how slowly I creep from one to the other I can't seem to hit a spot where the coupler stops turning. Is what I'm seeing the normal state of things? I also don't feel any sort of detents as I move from forward to reverse....should there be some sort of detent feel?

I'm sort of fixing/dealing with faults from the front to the back and still have a long way and lots of money to go till i get to the drive, but just wondered if I've got to add drive issues to my list.

Larry
  • daveinrenton
    • Mar 2006

Larry,

In my experience, it's all feel. The only way I am ever certain that the shaft is stopping is to go take a look. The reverse mechanism makes a terrible (but normal) noise when engaged so you pretty much know when you pull it out of reverse. The only detent is in full forward which is where it should be operated when going straight ahead varying the speed by the throttle. Fortunately, when you are about in the middle of the full forward and full reverse direction, and it will stop dead if you get it just right, there is not enough thrust to worry about anyway.

Dave

Comment

• JackConnick
      • Nov 2004

I usually just adjust the reversing gear so that I end up with a compromise of reverse and some sort of neutral area. But I agree, it's a matter of feel, and when I'm where I need to be I just shut the engine off.

Jack

Comment

Working...
      X