Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    thank you Shawn!
    here is a little video showing my boat - except for repacking shaft part

I hope you can see it
    Yes...I can see it. This is so awesome. Get a video of it running some day!!!

Does anyone on the forum have a 12V 35A motorola we can send to 2Dogs ?? Would this solve his problem ?
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• 2dogsnight
      • Jun 2012

What is "field connection" ....can't figure it out

Comment

• 2dogsnight
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
        Yes...I can see it. This is so awesome. Get a video of it running some day!!!

Does anyone on the forum have a 12V 35A motorola we can send to 2Dogs ?? Would this solve his problem ?
        I am slowly learning to use simple editing skills and will make video of my Atomic soon.
        I can buy an suitable alternator. Can someone send me a link to one that will work for my motor? I did look at lots of them so far and don't know what will fit my motor. One wire alternator sound simple.......price wise $250- is way too expensive, $60- ish is doable.

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

The generator should have two connections - armature and field. The armature is the main DC output and should be connected to that big relay. The field is what regulates the output. Depending on the generator, the field wire may be feed from the positive side or connected to ground through the regulator.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• 2dogsnight
            • Jun 2012

alternator shop give me a broken alternator that looks similar to Delco 10 SI single wire that Joe was recommending earlier. First challenge is position of pulley that is off around 1" compared to original generator.
            I think generator is powering raw water pump in my motor...!!!??.....no, can't be
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 2dogsnight; 08-13-2021, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

It is not going to just bolt on.
              You will need this:

And this:

And this:

Note the generator does not power the water pump, the accessory drive powers the water pump and the generator both.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                • Jun 2012

wander if this fits my motor, supposed to be good for 1964 - 65 Atomic
                API 20037 ALT37 ALT50 ALT30 20037 20030 20031. New 12 Volt 63 Amp Self Excited Delco Internally Regulated 10SI Marine Conversion Alternator for replacing Prestolite External Regulated Alternators. 100% New, 1 Year Warranty!

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                  • Jun 2012

Just looking over all 3 items........still can't figure out if there is one that will position the alternator over the pulley on accessory drive?? Would it be the new lift eye bracket??
                  I am ready to get all that but want to be sure . Thank you Joe!

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

The lifting eye is what lines up the alternator. You can fit a 10si, but make sure it is a MARINE 10si.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                      The lifting eye is what lines up the alternator. You can fit a 10si, but make sure it is a MARINE 10si.
                      thank you Joe,
                      placed the order with Moyer Marine for all brackets.
                      Looking for the alternator, NAPA and other automotive part stores want me to tell them what car I need it for
                      Took generator out of the boat and found some markings...
                      Attached Files

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                        • Jun 2012

Well, received Moyers brackets yesterday and my new alternator. Alternator was build for me by Scott from The Rebuilder in Kent WA. He made it to my specifications: Delco style, S10, 63A, single wire, for marine motor...price $85 He will work on my original generator, as I want to keep it in case I would like to go back to original set up.
                        Spend few hours planning how to fit it into my 1958 Atomic 4. Moyer brackets were useful. The lifting eye needed some modifications, support arm would not fit my motor. Today everything fell into place.
                        Started the motor and watch the voltage reading in horror....only 12.2V !r
                        But after 5-10 seconds reading was getting better and better and end up being 14.4V Success!!!
                        Going to the boat in few hours and will be taking it for a spin and test of new alternator.
                        Thank you everyone!!

Wojo
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 2dogsnight; 08-18-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

More voltage and less sparks
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by 2dogsnight View Post
                            Delco style, S10, 63A, single wire, for marine motor... Started the motor and watch the voltage reading in horror....only 12.2V
                            The single wire self excite alternators need a bump in RPM to start charging, something like 1000RPM.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

FYI - Your 14.4 volts is too high for gel batteries if you even want them. It is a bit high for wet cells too for float, I would be checking the water frequently if you stick with it.
                              Being a simple powerboat without a lot of hotel loads you may not really care to do any more work on this, but the 10si series of alternators have a lot of regulators available for them. You might hunt around for a lower voltage one if you want to.
                              Joe Della Barba
                              Coquina
                              C&C 35 MK I
                              Maryland USA

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                                • Jun 2012

Joe,
                                I am still testing the whole set up, including alternator. Yesterday I was cruising at 1000rpm and was getting charge 13.5V.
                                Motor was pretty hot......how hot? ....will be checking that today. Stuffing box is not letting one drip of water trough - will be looking into that today too. So lots more to do. BTW, I wouldn't know what to look for as far as regulator - all I know that there is one inside

Comment

Working...
                                X