• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronstory
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2016

What PSI for an electric fuel pump?

All--

I see comments on electric fuel pump pressure and was planning on buying a new backup and storing it on the boat. I've seen folks mention the 4 PSI versions of the pump and the 2.5 PSI versions and some even the 1-2 PSI pumps.

If their a definitive recommendation on PSI or is pretty much anything 4 PSI or below fine for the A4?

Thanks,
    Ron
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Portland, OR
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ronstory View Post

If their a definitive recommendation on PSI or is pretty much anything 4 PSI or below fine for the A4?
    What boat do you have?
    How far from the fuel tank to the carb?
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Anywhere between 2~4 "at the carb" is more than adequate. I've seen 6+ on some installations and they worked fine, the Zenith should hold up to 8 without much problem. The A-4 only need about 1 1/2 to get to over 20 hp.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Pretty much my experience.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• ronstory
          Afourian MVP
          • Feb 2016

The boat is a 1974 C&C 35, with the bottom of the fuel tank about at the same level as the inlet to the carb. So basically my boat just needs a transfer pump with a bit of pressure.
          Thanks,
          Ron
          Portland, OR

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I have a 1973 C&C 35
            My pump usually reads about 3.5 to 4.5 on the gauge.
            Last edited by joe_db; 10-20-2017, 07:35 PM.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• ronstory
              Afourian MVP
              • Feb 2016

Thanks! So 3-4 PSI is not too much for the float seat/seal.

According to the HIN, our C&C was "built" in 1973 but licensed in '74. The CG called it a 1974 in the documentation process, so we're just going with the flow.

Also, our HIN is one of the early ones that only had 11 characters, which causes issues with the state licensing folks that say "but it should have 12". I just show them the CG national registry site with the 11 characters and they grumble and say "Oh alright, but it's supposed to...."

Thanks,
              Ron
              Thanks,
              Ron
              Portland, OR

Comment

• Van_Isle
                • Sep 2012

Facet fuel pumps are here on this site. Not much guesswork required:

The 3 PSI pump is Facet model number 477-060, and the 4 PSI model number is 476-087 (this is from the FAQ on this site ... where Don recommends minimum 3psi nominal pump) **

Of course you can also make sure you've got a working oil pressure safety switch (unlike the dead and bypassed one that came with my boat ... bypassed by a 'professional mechanic', I might add!) and a polishing filter from the online catalog too.

** Facet model numbers are handy in case you want to order from a Facet dealer closer to home. For example, being Canadian, I ordered mine from Aircraft Spruce. I also ordered the replacement filter and gasket for the pump, so I could replace them on the old Facet pump and use it as a spare (the old one, AFAIK, is original to the engine and rusty on top from the freeze plug on the exhaust manifold weeping directly above it).
                1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
                Cygnet
                North Saanich, BC

Comment

Working...
                X