X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeB.330
    • Jun 2006

oil change time again??

Question, If I'm putting 50 hours on the engine in just over 1 month, do I still need to change the oil? Most of the running is at or near 1850- 2000 rpm for at least an hour or so each way out to the bay. Over the 50 hours of runnning I have used about 3/4 of a quart of oil.

If I change the oil this week it will be the 3rd. time this season.

thanks

Mike
  • luvmyi36
    • Jun 2007

I would say so...

Hi Mike,
    I put many hours on my A-4 per season as well. I have been changing it every 50, the old ounce of prevention = pound of cure theory. I am no expert, but at 50 hours, the used oil is looking pretty shabby.
    Jim
    S/V Cayenne
    1975 Islander 36
    www.betterbmp.com

Comment

• CalebD
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

You take the chances that you choose.

If it were my engine I would probably just change the oil since there is no oil filter on our A4. You could always just top it off with new oil and/or MMO and put off the next oil change until ...
      This is a judgment call IMHO. 50 hours is about right for a change by some reckoning. On the other hand if the engine sounds and behaves fine and the oil is not too ugly and dirty then just dilute it with some fresh oil. I generally adhere to the advice that iluvmyi36 gave that an oil change (<$20?) is cheap insurance.
      It is also a good idea to check you spark plugs for carbon buildup.
      Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
      A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

Mike,

A quick search of two Universal owner's manuals on my desk doesn't give us any official guidance that we can point to for stretching their historic recommendation of oil changes every 50 hours. Along with the lack of a full flow oil filter, it's my understanding that moisture, carbon buildup, and acid accumulation in the oil from infrequent use were also concerns that led to the 50 hour change interval, all of which should be at an absolute minimum in your case.

Therefore, and at risk of speaking from both sides of my mouth, I do agree with the previous advice that as long as your oil stays quite clear and your plug condition indicates clean combustion, you might stretch your oil changes a bit (maybe 75 to 100 hours or two months).

From the other side of my mouth, for most of us and in most situations, 50 hour oil changes are absolutely the cheapest insurance against premature bearing and cylinder bore wear, so this waffling should in no way be seen as a lessening of our allegiance to the original Universal recommendation.

Don

Comment

• MikeB.330
          • Jun 2006

Ok thanks, that kinda what I thought.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X