X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fireriders
    • Jun 2009

Cooling system change

I have been an auto mechanic for the better part of 37 years and a boater even longer. My question is has anyone ever put a small radiator and a low amp electric cooling fan on an Atomic 4? Getting rid of the salt water seems to be a no brainer. I have studied my Atomic 4 and see no reason why it would not be in our best interest to get away from "through hulls", "heat exchangers" and the biggest enemy of metal "salt water". I have ample room on my Pearson Wanderer and the battery and charging system would easily power a 10 inch or smaller fan. The fan would only run when needed just like your car or motorcycle. Japanese motorcycles run small radiators and fans. Just curious if anyone has done this. My heat exchanger is about toast and this will be its last season so I think its time for me to deep six the salt water system. Any thoughts please give me a shout.
  • tenders
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Where do you propose to put the radiator/fan so that the hot air goes someplace? I would expect that anywhere belowdecks, or more accurately, everywhere, would get hot.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I would expect the hot exhaust would be an issue too.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Fireriders
        • Jun 2009

Venting the heat from a radiator is not as big an issue as I had gave that some thought and have a few ideas that will work for that. The issue of the hot exhaust is the one thing that slipped my mind. No water flow through the exhaust would make the pipe hot to the point that it could damage the fiberglass at the stern. Will have to get some temperature readings on the exhaust flange and pipe and then do some brainstorming on this. This is the one point that may be an impass and prevent it from working.
        Last edited by Fireriders; 07-18-2009, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Be sure to check your exhaust temps under load as they'll be higher. The temp readings would need to be with a dry exhaust to be meaningful. Also you'll need to keep your carb dialed in because mixture will affect exhaust temp as well. Please let us know what you decide.

Neil
          Last edited by ndutton; 07-18-2009, 05:03 PM. Reason: Another thought
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Fireriders
            • Jun 2009

A richer mixture would tend to run cooler and under load would be the real test. With no strain against the motor it would never reach true operating temp. I will make the attempted switch after the season is over. Spent to much money on the engine to keep it running for this year but, it would be a good winter project this year. Ive already started checking EBAY for motorcycle radiators and cooling fans. Thanks greatly for the input. jeff

Comment

• Al Schober
              Afourian MVP
              • Jul 2009

Ahhh. I can see it now - a Pearson Wanderer with a hot exhaust stack. It would look kinda like a lobster boat with a mast :-) Perhaps you could run the exhaust up the mast & disguise it??? Oh - internal halyards...

Al Schober

Comment

Working...
              X