• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tlscott
    • Aug 2008

Another water in engine thread

Hi All

I've searched through the forum a number of times and have had great success so far this season. Earlier in the summer the A4 would shutdown after about an hour. A new coil fixed this problem and I've not had the problem ever since.

Very early this season I flooded the engine with water (water intake valve open). Flushed the engine and changed the oil etc. I've not had any problems since. A couple weeks ago I went to start the engine and no go. Eventually I thought to open the cylinder block drain and a quarter cup of water drained out. After a change of plugs the engine started right up. This happened again a few days later. I always close the sea cock before starting the engine so I know I am not flooding the engine during starting. I left the block drain open until I got the engine going and after motoring back to the dock a quarter cup of water drained out. So water is definitely entering while the engine is running.

I assume I must have a hole in the coolant jacket. Does this sound like the likely source?

How do you repair this?

thanks
    Terry
  • High Hopes
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2008

Scott,

Where is ther cylinder block drain? All the drains I am aware of open to the water jacket. Why woundn't you have water there? Or am I missing something.

Steve
    Last edited by High Hopes; 08-18-2008, 10:25 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• tlscott
      • Aug 2008

After thinking about my question a bit more I realized the drain plug on the Starboard side just below the alternator must be to drain the water jacket.

Basically I've been getting water into the cylinders and it's making it's way into the oil. I'm gonna try the water jacket test mentioned on this site to see if the block will hold air. This should tell me whether I have a hole in cylinder walls.

Could the head gasket be allowing the water into the cylinders?

Comment

• SEMIJim
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by tlscott View Post
        After thinking about my question a bit more I realized the drain plug on the Starboard side just below the alternator must be to drain the water jacket.
        Just below the alternator? I'm doing this from memory, but, IIRC, on the alternator side of the engine there's one forward of the alternator and one aft, below and behind the alternator.

Originally posted by tlscott View Post
        Could the head gasket be allowing the water into the cylinders?
        Yes.

Jim

Comment

• msauntry
          • May 2008

Yes, there are drains on the alternator side of the engine by #1 and #4 cylinders.

After you've drained it you might still be getting more drainage from hoses or other pockets of water inside the engine.

Comment

Working...
          X