• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dleedvm
    • Sep 2010

Removing carb?

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a little embarrassed to ask this but I've been avoiding any kind of maintenance on my carburetor since buying the boat six years ago. Every spring it runs a little rougher and Sea Foam just doesn't do it anymore. Can someone please explain how to remove a late model carb. I have all the videos, both manuals and a carb rebuild kit sitting on my desk, but nothing explains how to remove it. Thanks!
    David
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

David,
    Becomes easy when you do it enough!
    First, disconnect. Throttle, choke, fuel (close the shut-off). If you have the scavenge tube, remove that. Depending on clearance, removal might be eased by removing the flame arrester.
    Finally, remove the two bolts to the manifold. Carb is free.
    Reinstall is the reverse.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

A crumpled rag under the work area will catch the parts you are going to drop. It will keep them out of the bilge/under the engine.
      If the video didn't go into it are you clear on how to do the choke adjustment?

TRUE GRIT
      Last edited by Administrator; 05-07-2015, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• dleedvm
        • Sep 2010

Removing carb

Should I expect fuel to spill or drip as I'm doing this? i've replaced the choke cable before, so I know how to get that apart. I'm not too sure how it is really supposed to be adjusted, though. I've moved the boat further from home (better sailing!), so now I have added pressure to not start a project that might ruin an entire long weekend on the boat. Thanks everyone!
        David

Comment

• zialater
          • Jun 2014

Photos

Take plenty of pictures with your phone prior to starting. This has really helped me in the past.
          Joe
          Zia - 1975 C&C30 MK1
          Annapolis, MD

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
            • May 2010

Originally posted by dleedvm View Post
            Should I expect fuel to spill or drip as I'm doing this? i've replaced the choke cable before, so I know how to get that apart. I'm not too sure how it is really supposed to be adjusted, though. I've moved the boat further from home (better sailing!), so now I have added pressure to not start a project that might ruin an entire long weekend on the boat. Thanks everyone!
            David
            Yes on anticipating a small fuel spill, at least it will want to dribble fuel from: a) the line you disconnected to the carb from the fuel pump, and b) the bowl of the carb is full, and as you turn and twist to get it out it may dribble from the fuel inlet fitting, or from the throat of the carb.

Clamping/adjusting the choke is simple. With the choke knob pushed all the way in (I.E. no choke,) clamp the cable body down (1), and then with your finger make sure the choke is fully open (rotate #2 CW) and clamp the cable wire to the choke linkage(2).
            Attached Files
            Jeff

sigpic
            S/V Bunny Planet
            1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• Trés 30
              • May 2014

Yes, expect fuel to leak out. Also a good reason to put a rag underneath the area. If you have a fuel shutoff at the gas tank or anywhere before the carb, close it prior to work. Maybe have a jar or cup (not styrofoam or flimsy plastic) to empty excess fuel into once you get the carb free. Having replaced the cable, you know the importance of securing the lever in the same spot on the cable when reassembling.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you may be able to empty much of the gas by closing your fuel valve and running the engine until it sputters, which will be all the fuel in the lines and float bowl running out. I've only done this by accident though.

It shouldn't ruin a whole weekend of sailing but you don't want to rush it either. If your access is decent you should be able to knock it out in 3-4 hours. What would ruin a weekend would be a faulty carb failing you.

Good luck!

Comment

• dleedvm
                • Sep 2010

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone! As the ultimate chicken, I just ordered a new carb from Moyer so that I only have to worry about taking off the old one and replacing it. I'm hoping it is fairly "plug and play"? Once I have the old one off and can really look it over, I'll probably feel more comfortable working on the carb in the future (plus I'll have an extra, which doesn't seem like a bad idea). Thanks again
                David

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                  • May 2010

Maybe have a jar or cup (not styrofoam or flimsy plastic) to empty excess fuel into
                  +1 This is very exciting. DAMHIKT. Milk jugs are pretty resistant, but styrene foam or cheap plastic glasses will cause drama you don't want.
                  Jeff

sigpic
                  S/V Bunny Planet
                  1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• CalebD
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

You can also drain most of the fuel out of the carb before you take it off by taking out the main passage plug from the carb. 1/2" (?) bolt on aft end of carb down low.
                    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X