• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomG
    Afourian MVP Emeritus
    • Nov 2010

Hurricane Sandy Assistance - Jersey Shore

To the group:

My wife and I are driving up tomorrow to drop off food, water, fuel, and our little generator somewhere on the Jersey shore or Staten Island. Our original plan was to drive to central Long Island where I have some co-workers, but given the traffic and fuel situation, and not wanting to become an additional burden, we decided to stay on this side of Verrazano Narrows. Our plan now is to just find a family in need, but if anyone on the forum is in need or knows someone in need, we would love to send a little help their way. Send me a note at:

tgauntt737(at sign)gmail dot com

or post here.

Thanks,
    Tom
    "Patina"
    1977 Tartan 30
    Repowered with MMI A-4 2008
  • thatch
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2009

"Thank's"

Tom,
    The recent addition of our member's lable of "MVP" becomes very clear at times like this.
    Thatch

Comment

• toddster
      • Aug 2011

Just another thought... I know from last winter (and previous episodes) when an ice storm cut my power for three weeks... Everybody's mad at the power company. But the linemen are out there working around the clock. Some of them a thousand miles from home. If they come your way, some hot food and thanks might be welcome. (The guys I met didn't need any more coffee. They were pretty... wired. If not strung-out. They got to my house at about 0200 in near-blizzard conditions.)

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Tom G...you are a saint.

toddster...last year after Irene..(6 days I think?..which we have now reached with SuperStorm Sandy), the linemen that replaced the power pole and transformer in my front yard and gave us power back were from Alabama...I am in Maryland...I think that is about 1,000 miles or more. If I'd had a cold beer left, I would have offered it. - They said they basically followed behind the storm and were going to keep going until they were told to turn south again and head home. I try to be pretty laid back, and I tried to stay out of their way while they worked, but I was simply fascinated with their tenacity and organization, despite their obvious fatigue. They also had a great upbeat demeanor. I hope that I was one of the people they said, "that guy was not an a$%^ole and appreciated our work", rather than the ones you mentioned that are all pissed off at the power company.

It still took 5 more days for the two of the neighbors that share our transformer to get power..the tree that took out the pole also ripped the conduit from one of the houses..the power company would not energize them until an electrical contractor fixed the problem. I think they went 11 or 12 days.

This storm wreaked havoc..we've had several "fill this trailer and we'll drive north" rallies in the area...Good on ya.
        Last edited by sastanley; 11-05-2012, 11:50 PM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• TomG
          Afourian MVP Emeritus
          • Nov 2010

My fine A-4 friends,

I appreciate the kind words, but I am simply at a point to do what everyone of you would do: able to lend a hand. I'm close enough, and have the time and a few dollars to give back. As a native of the Gulf Coast and several hurricanes (Ivan was a "significant emotional event" where I'm from), I know how tough the next several months are going to be for these folks. Cleaning up after Ivan, there was something oddly comforting and and even joyful when a stranger would stop by to offer assistance... a bottle of cool water, a pair of new gloves, a cold sandwich, or to help take the boards off the windows to get a little air in your now air condition-less house. I would be lying if I said it didn't feel good to help out and interact with those so hard hit and the real heroes like the linemen, the National Guard, the Po-Po, the trash collectors, the guy driving the front-end loader clearing the way to the most devastated areas. The difference is, what those first responders and residents are doing is extremely difficult.

What I'm doing is easy.
          Tom
          "Patina"
          1977 Tartan 30
          Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

Working...
          X