• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • China Sea
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jun 2017

What happen to my transmission Lock screw

Help from those who have opened up a A4

We lost our wind for sailing and were going to motor in, Started the motor and put it into gear and got no power to the shaft.

We have an early A4 (UJ 7008) with the tombstone door. I think it is the OXKB Yoke Gear setup. I opened it up and the lock screw for setting the forward gear pressure plates was missing.

So I took a hooked wire and went looking in the oil. Then I took a magnet on a wire and went looking. All I came up with was; 2 little pieces of cast iron and a lower half of a set screw, (the part below the head).

So the questions are; What do I do now !!!!!?
    1. Do I put a new set screw in and run the motor.? ie. is there enough room in the oil sump to have a set screw sit in there and not cause trouble.?

2. Where did the little pieces of cast iron come from.? I noticed that I can rotate the pressure plate with the lock screw that the finger assembly is attached to. Is that supposed to be immobile.? or can that rotate with the screw collar.

I don't want to pull the engine out and tear it apart right now if I don't need to. The sailing season has just started up here in Wisconsin. But I don't want to cause more damage to the engine either.
    Any thoughts ?
    Thanks
    Dan
Working...
X