• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomG
    Afourian MVP Emeritus
    • Nov 2010

Winterizing by draining the block

In addition to the Moyer A-4 Manual, I also have a copy of the "Service and Repair Manual for Atomic 4 Marine Engine." This manual, in many ways, is a lot like Don's manual. It was written by Robert Staton and was published in Canada in the '80's and '90's. In Staton's book under "Winterization" he states that to properly winterize the cooling system, one needs to only remove the three drain plugs in the block and manifold and then loosen the water pump cover plate to drain the cooling system. (He also mentions all the other stuff like oil changes, fogging the cylinders, fuel treatments, etc). Now being printed in Toronto by people who know a little about cool weather, I was intrigued by this very simple method of prepping for winter. I've read extensively on the forum about anti-freeze, thermostat removing, and pinching off by-pass hoses to prep our engines for cold weather. This method seems so straighforward, I'm wondering about the drawbacks.

My question is this: What is wrong with the way Staton recommends to drain the engine? Does anyone here winterize their engine (in cold climates especially) this way?
    Tom
    "Patina"
    1977 Tartan 30
    Repowered with MMI A-4 2008
  • msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

I drain the block as mentioned after I have flushed with antifreeze. It may be sufficient to drain only, but the downside of a failure is too costly, so I don't risk it.
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

I use auto antifreeze because it's fast, effective and protects everything from intake to the transom exhaust hole....nothing will have frost damage including plastic mufflers etc.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

That's how I winterize my motor - when I remove those plugs I see only clean, clear Lake Huron water come out of the motor and MMI 502 waterpump.

I also drain the carb, fuel pump and intake water strainer.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

The P.O. of my boat (mid-Atlantic) winterized the motor that way...Drain the 3 plugs and that was it.

The motor is still ticking, but I fill it with at least pink RV antifreeze now, until I finish the FWC conversion.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by msmith10 View Post
            I drain the block as mentioned after I have flushed with antifreeze.
            I'm curious as to why. You fill the block with antifreeze, and then drain it out?

The block drains are low enough that the majority of what's inside will drain out.

Query as to whether the 1/2" (or maybe less) of water left in the jacket, if it were to freeze, would simply expand upward into the empty space, or would expand outward and crack the cooling jacket...

Data point: when I prepared to hoist my engine out, I pulled the plugs and let it drain out. That was in, I think, about November. The boat then sat through December and in January, I had it towed and hauled. I think I pulled the engine out and brought it home in either February or March. The only "winterizing" I did was the open up those drain plugs and let the water out.
            - Bill T.
            - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• msmith10
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2006

I do it because it gives me peace of mind. Pink antifreeze is cheap. All of our engines have different tilt angles and I can't see where water is sitting in the block or manifold.
              It also gets antifreeze into my waterlift (which I also drain after flushing).
              The same reason I have redundant systems all over my boat- it's a curse, I guess.
              Mark Smith

Comment

• ILikeRust
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

Forgot about the waterlift - good point.
                - Bill T.
                - Richmond, VA

Comment

• msmith10
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2006

I suspect I do a lot of things out of ignorance of what is sufficient, but my OCD forces my hand on a lot of things, too.
                  Mark Smith

Comment

• ILikeRust
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2010

Nothing wrong with that, particularly if you're that self-aware of it!
                    - Bill T.
                    - Richmond, VA

Comment

• Laker
                      • Sep 2010

Pink antifreeze does no damn good for your block. Either drain the block or flood it with the real - GREEN - stuff. Why not protect against rust while you're at it?

It's pink , for crying out loud.
                      1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• TomG
                        Afourian MVP Emeritus
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Laker View Post
                        Pink antifreeze does no damn good for your block. Either drain the block or flood it with the real - GREEN - stuff. Why not protect against rust while you're at it?

It's pink , for crying out loud.
                        Laker, how do you winterize your block and do you see an advantage of one over the other (draining vs. green antifreeze)?
                        Tom
                        "Patina"
                        1977 Tartan 30
                        Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• Laker
                          • Sep 2010

Tom - there has been a bit of discussion on this subject of late. The above post is a description of the procedure I employed , handed down to me by senior A4 owners in my Club. The reason I "Pickle wet" - I do not want to wrestle with freeze plugs that probably want to stay right where they have been for decades , and , most importantly - I never have to worry whether I got all of the water out of my block and standpipe. The lay-up time at 43 dg north is long and cold , and I want the assurance of knowing that every nook and cranny is soaked in ice preventing , rust inhibiting antifreeze.

Hot running block , soaked in the green stuff and hosed to sleep with MMO is how I do it.
                          Laker
                          1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

Working...
                          X