X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Tom, the stock regulator on the Motorola alternator is set at 13.8v. I am almost positive that is what Mammock's is telling you. I would be interested to see what the actual number is rather than "1 volt low"..1 volt low of what? When you start getting technical (and I am no expert, so I'll only speak to what I know) the desired output of an alternator is really based on the intricacies of individual boat systems, their complexity and battery types. None of that is important at this moment. Knowing the output voltage of your alternator is more important than a technician's claim of '1 volt low' at this point. It may be working exactly as it was designed 30+ years ago when everyone thought 13.8v was plenty for charging!!!

At any rate - to fix your first issue, Mammock's should be able to do a diode plate for about $15-20.

The second issue - low voltage...without the regulator in place, Mammock's should be able to tell you the unregulated output of that alternator..it should be well over 15 volts. There is an adjustable regulator available for the stock Motorola alternators that allows you (or Mammock's) to adjust the output stud's (big wire) voltage to anything up to the maximum the alternator will put out. I put one of these on my Motorola alternator a couple of years ago and it has worked fabulously.
    ASE Supply (http://www.ase-supply.com/) used to stock them, but it looks like they revamped their website, so I am having a little trouble finding it. The part # was trs-m5-197a . I'll provide an update if I can hunt it down..it was about a $40 part.

edit - In some obscure places on their website, ASE lists the part number...they may not have their product search engine fully integrated..they say to call them directly if you have any trouble,..TRS m5-197a should be enough.
    #2 - I also found it here - http://search.waiglobal.com/partnum.aspx?part=M5-197A
    #3 - also here - http://www.textronic.us/ShowItem/111746%20Vr%20Mot.aspx

In the attached pic, you can see a temporary wire up of my alt with a fresh diode plate (local shop did that) and the regulator (I did myself & currently adjusted to send 14.2 volts at the (+) battery post.) - The output at the alternator post is about 15 volts or so, as I am pushing voltage thru passive isolators and stuff that lose voltage on the way to the battery...when I got the boat, the batteries were barely getting 13.0 volts!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sastanley; 01-19-2011, 02:51 PM. Reason: add parts availability detail
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• TomG
      Afourian MVP Emeritus
      • Nov 2010

Thanks for the great info, Shawn. Mammock's said the output was registering 13.0 volts at the terminal. Throw in a little voltage drop and it looks like the battery wasn't getting a whole lot.

They cleaned a bunch of paint off terminals, replaced the diode, adjusted the voltage regulator, and bench tested everything in less than a half day. The place had that ethereal quality of sounds, smells, and lighting that kinda stick with you... Now if they only had a one-eyed dog or a bench seat from an old Chevy suburban in the waiting room, the experience would have been complete.

Thanks everyone for your help. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
      Tom
      "Patina"
      1977 Tartan 30
      Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

good feedback Tom...let us know what the results are when re-installed please!
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X