X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goodoldboat
    • May 2017

Mercury 3.5 4 stroke outboard

I know this off topic but does any one have this motor for their tender/or dinghy.

I have a new to me, 2013 motor and its so hard to start , once started it will run fine ... but getting it started is a chore ..

Any thoughts or ideas ..
    S/V Gosling
    Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
    ― Kenneth Grahame
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Do you run the carb dry when you shut down for the day? If yes, how do you prime the carb bowl the next time you try to start? Is the choke closing fully?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

I'll guess the engine has a choke (my Honda 2 HP does) - make sure the choke is working properly.

Comment

• goodoldboat
        • May 2017

MERCURY 3.5 MOTOR

Thanks for the input guys ... I far as can tell the choke is working properly .

The gas tank is built in and it does have a fuel shut off switch , I does not however have a primer bulb .. I just assumed it was gravity fed .
        S/V Gosling
        Westport CT .

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
        ― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

95% of outboard problems are carb problems. If you aren't religious about running the fuel out, and sometimes even if you are, modern gas and tiny passages = problems.
          If there is nothing obvious wrong with the choke try some SeaFoam. I always add SeaFoam to my outboard tanks.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• tenders
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

I run Sta-Bil-ized fuel, sometimes with a dash of Seafoam for good measure, in 100% of my carbureted engines, 100% of the time, and I run the carbs dry at the end of every season (A4 excepted; it's fogged, and I also run MMO in it 100% of the time).

Knock on wood but this simple practice has translated into minimal carb/fuel maintenance and zero carb issues for a dozen years and counting, across a 2hp two-stroke generator, 3hp power washer, 3.5hp two-stroke scooter, 6hp generator, 6hp outboard, 7hp snowblower, 13hp scooter, and of course the trusty A4, the grandest of them all.

Comment

• goodoldboat
              • May 2017

MERCURY 3.5 MOTOR

Thank all for the input .. I will follow these steps regarding fuel .

It came to me that these motors get very little run time 15 to 20 minutes at a time ..

I filled the tank with fresh clean fuel and let it run in the test tank till empty
              probably close to 90 Minutes ...

it seems to start easier now ... I will let you know how it works .
              S/V Gosling
              Westport CT .

― Kenneth Grahame

Comment

Working...
              X