X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

I spoke with Anthony last evening on the phone. Found out a few more details about his trip. The engine ran good once started, lots of power, no trouble maintaining hull speed. Had a "drip" fuel leak (described as very small) near racor filter, had to choke to start even when warm.

No banging, ran smooth, no overheating noticed. We spoke at length and I told him how to do a quick compression test with the thumb, advised he look at the fuel delivery system, lines and pump (electric) as well. Also suggested he pull the carb off and clean it up. Told him my suggestions that it was not getting enough fuel or sucking air, carb could be dirty, or carb air leak somewhere gasket etc.

A pleasure to speak with and I am sure with all the help here it will run in the spring without too much effort or expense. He also has some other areas on his new boat that he would like to address .

The main thing is that we have put some confidence back in for him and his engine...and he shouldn't have to spend allot of money and mainly...don't worry about it all winter...it has to work!!
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Marian Claire
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2007

Forte: Welcome to the forum. I can state that my A-4 is 45 yrs old, raw water cooled and in salt/brackish water all its life. A few yrs ago I rebuilt and found no problems with the block, manifold etc. If yours is a 1965 model then it is a true early model unless some one has hybridized it. This thread may help you identify parts. http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4010
      The hard start could be as simple as a poorly adjusted choke cable. You can remove the flame arrester, or on the early model carb you can just remove the top screw and swing the flame arrester out of the way, and you can see the choke valve. Do post pics as soon as you can. What is your intended use for the boat/A-4? Day sailing, short trips or cruising. I ask because some repairs are based on use. You mentioned a PVC valve. That could indicate a past blow-by issue which would indicate worn rings. So as suggested some compression #s would be good. Dan S/V Marian Claire A-4 # 77414
      Last edited by Marian Claire; 12-15-2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• forte
        Frequent Contributor
        • Dec 2010

Pictures will have to wait until I get a camera (and then figure out how to upload the pictures). From looking at the head I believe that it is an early model A4. It has been modified with an electric fuel pump and fresh water cooling. Other than that I will have to study the manuals I have ordered.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Excellent news on the manual...it will pay for itself quickly. The telltale sign for an early model is the "tombstone" shaped cover on the reversing gear. If you didn't already find it on the Moyer site, here is a link that helps explain the differences..I also find that simply scanning the online catalog and comparing parts between the two makes things pretty straightforward.

Moyer's upload feature for pictures is fairly easy...underneath the reply window when you are typing, check out the "attach files" section....you will probably need to resize the pictures to 800x600 or something close to that, as most cameras these days take HUGE pictures which are too big in native form to upload...photoshop or PAINT.NET are good programs for this.

Cheers!
          Last edited by sastanley; 12-15-2010, 02:56 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X