X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1973 Ericson
    • Nov 2004

Rubber Hose Extending from oil tap below valve chamber cover

I need help Identifying what the heck this is for... I have a late model engine. There is a rubber hose extending from the oil tap on the block below the valve chamber cover. (the tap that was used in the early model to attach the copper tube to lubricate the valves) The hose is about 8" long and has a male hose barb at the end and hangs loosely on the oil fill tube on the front of the engine by a wire tie. It seems like it was intended to fill or drain oil but I can"t imagine why there... Is that tap pressurized and if so why doesnt oil spray out of the loose end of the hose?... You can just see it in the attached photo

Thanks for the help

Tug
    ________
    Dodge Aspen history http://pokerient.net/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 1973 Ericson; 09-25-2013, 02:43 AM.
  • David Masury
    • Oct 2004

The hose you refer to is the crankcase breather tube.... the loose end should end up on top of the flame arrestor that is in front of your carburator... basically it recycles the oil fumes from the engine block into the carburator and they get consummed with the fuel... eventually they block the flame arrestor grate and you need to clean it... there is a very nice unit made that uses a PVC valve and a spacer block between the carburator and the manifold that really directs the fumes into the manifold above the carburator, it eliminates all oil smells and is a great inexpensive add-on to the engine

Comment

Working...
    X