X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejay
    • Jul 2022

oil seal replacement

My oil seals on the reversing gear cross shaft leak. Not a bad leak, but probably ongoing for many years now and should be replaced. I disengaged the shifting cable from the lever and loosened the set screws on the cross shaft, but I could not get any movement when tapping on the other end of the cross shaft with a light hammer. Any ideas? just more percusive force?
    EJ
    78 Catalina 30
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

In addition to the two seals, I recommend you add a new stainless cross shaft to your parts list.

Your present shift lever (cast iron) has formed a corrosive bond to the cross shaft (carbon steel); most likely due to corrosion of the cross shaft. Disassembly may require cutting the end off the cross shaft.
    You may want to think about removing the reversing gear housing to do this job. This will involve a) loosening the aft plates and removing the upper bolts, b) removing the bolts into the oil pan and the engine block, and finally c) removing the dowel pins between the gear housing and the block. With the reversing linkage disconnected, the housing and cross shaft will lift out together. This will also be an opportunity to do the Kaminsky modification. This mod installs a tapped hole in way of the reversing adjusting bolt, easing it's repair down the line.

Comment

Working...
    X