X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick duBois
    • Mar 2008

Ignitor module testing

Is there a way to test the ignitor module with a voltmeter to see if it is still functions. I have lots of fuel yet the engine will not start. The last time it started fine but today.... no go.
    Nick duBois
    "Irish Rover"
    Catalina 27 #4459
    Halifax, NS Canada
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Nick, did you check for spark?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Nick duBois
      • Mar 2008

No Dave, in haste I assumed it was not getting spark as I could smell fuel. It was one of those late start gotta get out days.
      Nick duBois
      "Irish Rover"
      Catalina 27 #4459
      Halifax, NS Canada

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Exhaust that smells like raw gas = no spark. It isn't getting burned, just pumped overboard. Speaking of which, not all exhaust systems will pump all the cooling water overboard without the engine actually running.

Originally posted by Nick duBois View Post
        No Dave, in haste I assumed it was not getting spark as I could smell fuel. It was one of those late start gotta get out days.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

Don't forget to check the plugs themselves...seen 4 or 5 engines this year with plug issues and people searching everywhere for problem.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Nick duBois
            • Mar 2008

I'm going down now to give her a once over I have a new coil and cap and rotor and I will test the ignition circuit to see if the coil is getting power. All I did yesterday was change the oil, before that it was fine. I will check the plugs as well.
            Nick duBois
            "Irish Rover"
            Catalina 27 #4459
            Halifax, NS Canada

Comment

• Nick duBois
              • Mar 2008

Problem fixed she fired up fine. I think it was the coil. Happy day on the water!! I'm amazed that one day it runs fine and the next nothing. There is some question as to what side of the coil the wire from the alternator goes on. I put it on the positive but others have told me it goes on the negative. Can anyone advice me. The way it is wired now is the wires from the ignitor, the oil safety switch , the curly wire from the alt and the wire from the key switch are on the positive and the black wire from the ignitor is on the negative side of the coil. Is this correct?
              Nick duBois
              "Irish Rover"
              Catalina 27 #4459
              Halifax, NS Canada

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Your wiring is correct Nick. As for those others . . .

What are the specs of the new coil?
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

Thing to remember. The coil only has to have two wires going to it, for the engine to run.

On the positive is the power from ignition switch, for the engine to run. On the negative is the wire that goes to the distributor. That is all you would need to run the engine.

Many engines will have several wires connected to the positive side of the coil. These wires are just getting power when the ignition is on, and dont have to be on the coil. They just need power, and could be hooked to another source. (switched)

A tachometer will have a wire to the negative side. I cant think of any other wire that would need to be connected to the negative side of the coil. (except as stated above)

The alternator wire needs power when the engine is on, so it is connected to the positive side.

Comment

Working...
                  X