• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkupmstr
    Frequent Contributor
    • Nov 2004

2:1 Reduction unit to trade for direct drive

Anyone out there have a direct drive unit to trade for a 2:1 reduction unit?

Anyone know the going rate for a used direct drive unit?

Thanks,
    Jim
  • NewSpirit
    • Oct 2004

Hi,
    I just removed my Atomic from boat. It has a direct drive. I might be intrested in trading you. Need to find out whats involved in swapping it around.
    David

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

David,

I'm not exactly sure what you want to swap.

If you want to end up using the engine with a reduction gear in your boat, it's not very difficult to move the direct drive reversing gear assembly to the engine with a reduction gear. If the engines are setting side by side on a work bench, the operation can be accomplished in two or three hours, particularly if you're not concerned with getting the reduction gear assembly back into the original direct drive model.

The reversing gears in both engines are identical except for the part of the shaft that extends behind the engine. In the direct drive, the end of the shaft has a keyway slot to accommodate the output coupling; in the reduction gear model, the shaft also uses a keyway design, but the diameter of the end of the shaft is somewhat larger to accommodate the small gear in the reduction unit.

Since the reversing gears are identical, we don't see the value in changing the shafts within the reversing gears. We recommend instead that both units be retained in their original configurations and simply be moved to the other engine. You can see what the gear reduction assembly looks like in our online catalog.

Best regards,

Don Moyer

Comment

• Bill Schmitz
        • Oct 2004

Reduction gear

I have a direct drive in good condition from a late
        model A4. Would like to trade it for your 2:1 if
        you still have it.
        Bill Schmitz

Comment

Working...