X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Great troubleshooting. Very methodical and logical.
    Been are round the mulberry bush myself. Sea life had set up a living arrangement in the raw water intake pipe. I evicted them with a piece of rebar.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• pdecker
      • Jan 2005

Cannot remove the starter

I'm trying to remove the starter so I can access the forward drain port in the engine block, but the starter/solenoid assembly will not come off. I removed the two bolts on the flange easily enough, and rapped it all around with a hammer and it is still stuck. I have been soaking the interface with PB Blaster for several days since it probably has never been removed before and looks rusty, but no luck.

Are there more bolts besides the two? Do I have to remove the flywheel cover to access something?

Comment

• edwardc
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2009

No, those two bolts are it. Keep soaking and tapping. If you can get it, try Kroil instead of PBBlaster. Or a 50/50 mix of acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid.
        @(^.^)@ Ed
        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• thatch
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2009

Phil, Waiting for a penetrant to do it's job may take a while. If it were my A4, I would replace the bolts loosely, and using a fairly sharp chisel, apply a firm blow at the seam between the starter and the flywheel housing. Before re-installing the starter I would de-rust all of those surfaces, apply a thin coat of paint and then lube the parts with something like lithium grease.
          Tom

Comment

Working...
          X