• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronstory
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2016

What do you do when "Hunkered down"?

I'm fortunate to be able to work from home. But I'v come to the rapid conclusion that while it's fun to be able to work from home every now again, I miss being at work. There are people at work. ;^)

Right now I'm doing email, dialing into meetings and desperately waiting for the package from MMI to arrive. It has all the parts for my A4 "puzzle" rebuild.

So those of us 'hunkering'... what do you do to keep from going stir crazy?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Portland, OR
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
    I'm fortunate to be able to work from home. But I'v come to the rapid conclusion that while it's fun to be able to work from home every now again, I miss being at work. There are people at work. ;^)

Right now I'm doing email, dialing into meetings and desperately waiting for the package from MMI to arrive. It has all the parts for my A4 "puzzle" rebuild.

So those of us 'hunkering'... what do you do to keep from going stir crazy?
    Lunch hour on the boat. Evening sail maybe. Right now we are so busy I hardly get to leave my chair otherwise.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• ronstory
      Afourian MVP
      • Feb 2016

Great idea! Unfortunately our boat is 2.5 hours away, deep into Washington CV19-land.
      Thanks,
      Ron
      Portland, OR

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Ron, I'm in So Cal and the boat is in Long Beach 2 hours away from home. I live in the mountains so I have been somewhat stuck as we have had snow for over a week now. It is snowing now so getting to the boat is an issue depending on whether or not I want to get back home. If the weather was nice I would go it at Catalina on my mooring for a week or two.

At least I can shovel snow for something to do. I have done a few home projects for the boat and now it is to cold to varnish, the OB for the dinghy is finished and very shinny and I still have wiring to do inside the boat as well as a new antenna to get rid of the masthead unit finally!!!

Some chatting will surely alleviate some of the boredom from weather and the COV-19 krap.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• AFisch
          • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
          Ron, I'm in So Cal and the boat is in Long Beach 2 hours away from home. I live in the mountains so I have been somewhat stuck as we have had snow for over a week now. It is snowing now so getting to the boat is an issue depending on whether or not I want to get back home. If the weather was nice I would go it at Catalina on my mooring for a week or two.

At least I can shovel snow for something to do. I have done a few home projects for the boat and now it is to cold to varnish, the OB for the dinghy is finished and very shinny and I still have wiring to do inside the boat as well as a new antenna to get rid of the masthead unit finally!!!

Some chatting will surely alleviate some of the boredom from weather and the COV-19 krap.

Dave Neptune
          Dave...2 questions...are you up in Big Bear? My family and I were thinking of running up to a family cabin but didn't know what the roads were like.

2...you have a mooring huh?? wink wink...

Adam

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            • Jan 2007

Adam, I live in Lk Arrowhead close to Twin Peaks @ 5782'.

And yes I do have a mooring on the island @ Emerald Bay #A-1 and have had it for almost 20 years now. Getting expensive though over the last few years. I am also a member of the Corsair YC located in Emerald, one of the last surviving clubs based on the island.

I get there about 15 or more times a season and a few more off season, like now if the weather were nice. I'd rather sit at the island than in my house for sure. I lived in Huntington Beach until I started into retirement from precision tool making.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• GregH
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2015

...as well as a new antenna to get rid of the masthead unit finally!!!

Dave Neptune
              Off topic but always interested in what you are using/doing for your VHF antenna and why?

- new thread?

- on topic. Store is still open here..this time of year it is still mostly online orders and staff is 2-3 of us. very few walk-ins. Hours are being reduced and we'll revisit that on Monday.
              Greg
              1975 Alberg 30
              sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                • Jan 2007

Greg, I have removed the masthead antenna from of my past boats and now this one. I have found that they tend to get weak over time and if something goes wrong I don't want to have to go up the stick. Mine now is just weak and barely transmits however reception is fine. I went over the connections I could get to and no joy.

What I am doing on this boat is mounting an 8'er with the base at about 10' off the water. I can broadcast just as far as the power allows and I can get to it if I need to switch out to an emergency antenna much faster and still have a good mount.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ronstory
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Feb 2016

Dave--

Ok, it sounds like you are more "inconveniently located" than I am to our boat. That siid, our boat is being guarded the yuppie-prepper Covid19 apocalypse hoard... since i'm only 1.5 miles from a costco. ;^)

I already installed the wireless thermostats in the house yesterday. The day before I dismantled two N202M-07 water pumps and ordered parts. I have a leak on the top of my power steering box of the land rover, or I need to rebuild a carb... or something.

As for the VHF antenna, the only one I trust for the masthead is Metz. I still have my first 2M ham Metz that is 29 years old... all outside, all the time. I did replace the plastic rain "hat" about 9 years ago... but only because it was looking scruffy.
                  Last edited by ronstory; 03-19-2020, 05:35 PM. Reason: grammar
                  Thanks,
                  Ron
                  Portland, OR

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                    • Jan 2007

Thanx Ron, I think most of my problems have existed at the antenna connections and not the antenna itself. The one on my current boat a Bene is intermittent and never strong. I thought it was maybe the radio and I upgraded to an AIS unit of the same brand. It worked a bit better and the new antenna works far better just laying on the cockpit sole.

I'm also rerouting my solar from the batteries to the power panel. This allows me to see what is going in or out of the panel which is where all the power I am concerned about eminates. Don't care about the windlass as the engine should be running to operate it. I can also see the draw while the engine is running. I do need a shut off switch for the solar which is on the boat for installation now.

May head down the mntn Friday for a couple days of R&R IE working on the boat.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• AFisch
                      • Sep 2019

Adam, I live in Lk Arrowhead close to Twin Peaks @ 5782'.

And yes I do have a mooring on the island @ Emerald Bay #A-1 and have had it for almost 20 years now. Getting expensive though over the last few years. I am also a member of the Corsair YC located in Emerald, one of the last surviving clubs based on the island.

I get there about 15 or more times a season and a few more off season, like now if the weather were nice. I'd rather sit at the island than in my house for sure. I lived in Huntington Beach until I started into retirement from precision tool making.

Dave Neptune
                      Good Balance you have there...Mountains and the Sea.

Yes, we also considered heading out to Catalina, but waiting for decent weather. We have 2 small kids so need to keep them occupied too.

I have never been up past 2 harbors, we normally head to Avalon and then work our way up to 2 harbors...I'll put Emerald bay on our list of to-do's this summer. (In fact I think I want to take enough time to circumnavigate the whole island with the family).

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        • Jan 2007

Adam, put Emerald on your list. It is not the most protected bay but it is the prettiest. There is a big sandy beach for the kids, lots of hiking, great snorkeling and another small beach right behind my mooring. The bay has full access by the boaters, nice to go ashore and play.

Let me know if you head out, I like to meet fellow Afourians and have entertained a few there. If I'm not there I can reserve the mooring, no savings $ wise but a really nice spot. It took me over 30 years to finally get it. I got a mooring after the first 14 years on the list at that time (A-4) and I was on the transfer list. Had it for about 4 years now and just don't want to give it up. In fact I had a far better deal on a Bene 423 from a friend but the Island said it was to big for A-1 so I bought the biggest boat that would be allowed a Bene 393, just 3 inches short of max for that mooring.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• AFisch
                          • Sep 2019

Adam, put Emerald on your list. It is not the most protected bay but it is the prettiest. There is a big sandy beach for the kids, lots of hiking, great snorkeling and another small beach right behind my mooring. The bay has full access by the boaters, nice to go ashore and play.

Let me know if you head out, I like to meet fellow Afourians and have entertained a few there. If I'm not there I can reserve the mooring, no savings $ wise but a really nice spot. It took me over 30 years to finally get it. I got a mooring after the first 14 years on the list at that time (A-4) and I was on the transfer list. Had it for about 4 years now and just don't want to give it up. In fact I had a far better deal on a Bene 423 from a friend but the Island said it was to big for A-1 so I bought the biggest boat that would be allowed a Bene 393, just 3 inches short of max for that mooring.

Dave Neptune
                          It would be really good to meet up...but, just forewarning and transparency..although I feel like I am becoming one of you Afourians...I have a Palmer. She's been good to us though and you guys have been my saving grace to keep her running!

I will definitely put Emerald Bay on the list for this summer and I will reach out to you well before so we can try to meet up.

Thanks,
                          Adam

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                            • Jan 2007

Adam, don't sell the Palmer short. It is actually a more robust engine with the extra crank bearing. A good engine to run especially with a reduction unit as the RPM's make it easier with the additional rigidity of the center main. The downside is not as many were made and there is no parts source like MMI for it. If you see a cheap one that's sound picking it up for parts wouldn't hurt.

Did the Palmer have an external scavenge tube like the late model A-4's?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Administrator
                              MMI Webmaster
                              • Oct 2004

I think most of my problems have existed at the antenna connections and not the antenna itself. The one on my current boat a Bene is intermittent and never strong. I thought it was maybe the radio and I upgraded to an AIS unit of the same brand. It worked a bit better and the new antenna works far better just laying on the cockpit sole.
                              For those lurking, when an AIS is sharing the VHF antenna, it is absolutely critical that a splitter be used which isolates the VHF radio from the AIS. The conventional TV-type splitter will take them both out.

I think there is a thread somewhere around here which talks about all the variables one must consider when choosing between a masthead antenna and one mounted on the sternrail. As my dear mom would have said, "There's a whole lot to it."

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X