X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skywalker
    • Jan 2012

Gentlemen, start your engines!

Been busy with non mechanical prep work - sanding, painting, varnishing, holding tank, and on and on...

Didn't have a lot of time yesterday after work, so I decided to fill a bucket with water and turn the key.

Well, I didn't get the first "one alligator one" out of my mouth and she fired up!

Love that little engine. And to think a couple of years ago you guys had to walk me back from the ledge when I was prepared to tear it down after getting the boat back. Thanks again.

SKywalker
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Have a safe season.

Started mine up last Sunday morning and put her sails on. This week touched up bottom paint, new anode, put her drain plug back in....good to go in. We are putting our docks in on Monday, I think she will go in around Monday afternoon

This year I didn't have to purchase bottom paint. $20 for 15w40 motor oil and $13 for a shaft anode. The shine on topsides was done last July and is still OK, so all is well.

Have a great and safe season people.
    Attached Files
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

I am happy it is finally spring for real!!

I am taking some sails down to the boat and firing the old girl up tomorrow..No pictures because it hasn't happened yet.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Hey Mo,
        That's a heck of a trailer! I like it - I guess no crane or travel lift for you? Do you have a vehicle that will haul it or do you sub that out?

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Al, If I remember, Mo has a Dodge 2500 diesel truck he also uses to plow snow with in the winter. That trailer is impressive.

My neighbor just got a GREAT deal on a 2004 4-door Ford F-250 6.0L diesel truck. Doesn't every guy want a big-a$$ truck at some point in their life?
          -Shawn
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
            Hey Mo,
            That's a heck of a trailer! I like it - I guess no crane or travel lift for you? Do you have a vehicle that will haul it or do you sub that out?
            Hi Al,
            Yeah, Shawn called it. Dodge Cummins and easy to pull her with that. Made that trailer when I got the boat in 2007...had the trailer ready when the boat showed up on the transport truck. Last summer welded in a new lower frame. Initially was built with tube steel but it was hard to keep up and rust couldn't be seen. Now C channel and it can be sprayed off, painted all sides, etc. It paid for itself in about 2-3 years and takes about 1/2 hour to put her in or out.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Skywalker
              • Jan 2012

I bought an old yard trailer years ago when I first had my Tartan. My neighbor owns a steel manufacturing business, so we customized it. Had an extension tongue to boot. Unfortunately, I sold it after I sold the Tartan to some guy in Connecticut. Wish I had it now. The T27 has an 8.5 foot beam, 7000 lbs. My buddy's dually was all we needed.

When I got the boat back, the paint was awful. Harry paid some guy to slop two part poly on. He used a brush in random stroke directions! It was like having cross hatching. So this winter I decided to sand and polish. Started with 1000 grit, moved to 1500, then 2000. Buffed with a wheel with two different compounds. Passes the 20 foot test. The starboard side's paint was a little thin and the primer bled through here and there, but it will last me a couple of seasons until I get inspired. I painted the boot yesterday, the cove is tape.

Skywalker

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	197629

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	197630

Comment

• marthur
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2004

Your paint more than passes the 20' test!

We were the second boat at the yacht club. Went sailing yesterday, sunny but cool. Lake Michigan is warmer than usual this year.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	197631
                Mike

Comment

• marthur
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2004

Your paint more than passes the 20' test!

We were the second boat in the water at the yacht club. Went sailing yesterday, sunny but cool. Lake Michigan is warmer than usual this year.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	197631
                  Mike

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Skywalker View Post
                    I bought an old yard trailer years ago when I first had my Tartan. My neighbor owns a steel manufacturing business, so we customized it. Had an extension tongue to boot. Unfortunately, I sold it after I sold the Tartan to some guy in Connecticut. Wish I had it now. The T27 has an 8.5 foot beam, 7000 lbs. My buddy's dually was all we needed.

When I got the boat back, the paint was awful. Harry paid some guy to slop two part poly on. He used a brush in random stroke directions! It was like having cross hatching. So this winter I decided to sand and polish. Started with 1000 grit, moved to 1500, then 2000. Buffed with a wheel with two different compounds. Passes the 20 foot test. The starboard side's paint was a little thin and the primer bled through here and there, but it will last me a couple of seasons until I get inspired. I painted the boot yesterday, the cove is tape.

Skywalker

[ATTACH]11642[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11643[/ATTACH]
                    Skywalker,
                    I bought a farm wagon and made mine. Have a look on craigslist and find a farm wagon for sale. Then you build a cradle between the axles. With a wheel on both corners it remains stable going up and down ramps for launch and recovery. Tandem axle doesn't work as well and generally become a cluster compared to having a wheel on each corner. I've been at it for years. Since I built this one we have 7 in our club....everyone else is paying about $300 each way in and out.

I keep it at Shearwater Yacht Club and although we strive to maintain the marina etc the sea will let us know what we can get away with. I really like the ability to pull out mid season if a particularly threatening storm is inbound. All I have to do for a storm is take her sails off, remove dodger, BBQ, cockpit curtain and drive it out...whole time involved is about an hour. One of the best things I've ever done.
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Skywalker
                      • Jan 2012

Thanks Marthur! On the hard, I'm so much more critical of her than when she is floating. I think it was Don Casey who wrote in one of his books "It's a boat, not a Steinway" for those of us who get a tad compulsive.

Mo, that is great advice, thanks. I'll start looking. Hauling and storing on Long Island for my 27 footer is over 2000. I've been keeping in my buddy's yard - he is a landscaper, but he may be forced to move. I plan on storing in water next year, so I have some time to get this project together.

Chris

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

marthur, Nice tiller! (from another tiller guy!)

I started my motor today..it ran...my tach is not working...1st world problems..go Spring!
                        Last edited by sastanley; 04-24-2016, 10:57 PM.
                        -Shawn
                        sigpic

Comment

• cdhickey
                          • Sep 2013

I'm heading out today to start mine for the first time this season. Hopefully I'll have as much luck as you did!
                          Chris
                          S/V Seeker
                          1972 C&C 30
                          Terra Nova Yacht Club, Holyrood NL

Comment

• BobMcD
                            • Apr 2010

Engine was started last week Thursday to de-winterize ...cranked four times and started right up. Boat is now ready for launch. We splash this Friday the 29th
                            Of course as soon as I get the antifreeze out of the block....the weather forecast is for snow to morrow morning......

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                              • Sep 2014

Still stuck

I'm still waiting for the yard to move 4 more boats before they can launch me. Fired up the engine yesterday. Smokey due to the MMO but started right up.
                              I've been busy over the winter. Now I'm chomping at the bit to get sailing!
                              Attached Files
                              John Novotny
                              1973 Tartan 30 #186
                              Baltimore, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X