X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rgoff
    • Oct 2004

Should electric fuel pump "tick tick"?

I thought I had all my engine problems solved last summer; with a new fuel tank and new coil.

HOWEVER , when I started my engine yesterday (first time in a couple of months) it ran fine for a couple of minutes then died. Would start again, then die quickly.

I checked the bulkhead fuel filter and it has gas in the container and it's clean (as is the filter).

I also opened the gas filler cap to make sure it wasn't a vent issue.

I'm sure when I put in my electric fuel pump a few years back, it would go "tick tick" when I applied power to it (by bypassing the oil pressure safety switch). Now it doesn't do it anymore. Just clicks once when power is applied and that's it.

I can't think of any other reason for the problem, so I'm going to "shotgun" the issue and put in a new electric fuel pump.

Any input?

Thanks,
    Ralph
    1973 Ericson 27, "Hog Time"
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Rgoff,

I think you're on the right track. Facet pumps do continuously click whenever power is supplied to them, and fuel is recirculated internally against a spring-loaded bypass valve.

Don

Comment

• rgoff
      • Oct 2004

Looks like the fuel pump was the problem. I installed a new bulkhead mounted one from Moyer and my A4 ran fine for 30 minutes at the dock.

I applied power to the old one without any fuel lines connected to it and it ran for about 30 seconds and quit. The old one only had about 120 hours on it.

Now, hopefully, my summer cruising will be trouble free.
      Ralph
      1973 Ericson 27, "Hog Time"

Comment

Working...
      X