• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

docks in

We put our marina in today. 24 main floats and 40 or so fingers. Had a photographer on taking pics the whole time (his hobby). I'll be darned it he didn't take step too far back and end up in the drink. Took 3 of the boys to fish him out and that water was cold...not much hope for pics....

Crane put in 24 main floats 7000lbs each in 2 hrs...0800 -1000 hrs. Loader with forks put in the fingers 1000 hrs to 11:30 hrs. By 12:10 we were all sitting in the club eating lunch that I had arranged to be prepared for the guys. All stacking blocks were also gathered up and stowed until fall....real good hustle. About 20 of us working pinning them together with linch pins. The whole thing from start to finish took 4 hrs and 10 minutes.

Was thinking of launching today as well but the wind was up around 20 kts by noon out of the NW....not worth the hassle. Will look at launching Odyssey around 10 am tomorrow.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
      I'm still waiting for the yard to move 4 more boats before they can launch me. Fired up the engine yesterday. Smokey due to the MMO but started right up.
      I've been busy over the winter. Now I'm chomping at the bit to get sailing!
      I guess you've been busy. Looks good. I love that skeg rudder too!!
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Skywalker
        • Jan 2012

Hung up the phone.

Launch scheduled for May 10.

I'm ready to go, but college is getting in the way. My daughter graduates Temple U - a two day process, May 5-6, then I immediately have to drive to Notre Dame and pick up my son and on the way back, pick up my daughter, who attends OSU, on my way to see my 90 year old father in the Poconos!

On top of this, I have to get working on the J24 I'm partners in and prepare for the seasons first race on May 14. She's on a trailer, we launch and step the mast ourselves, so at least that takes some pressure off.

Chris

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
          I'm still waiting for the yard to move 4 more boats before they can launch me. Fired up the engine yesterday. Smokey due to the MMO but started right up.
          I've been busy over the winter. Now I'm chomping at the bit to get sailing!
          Wow! Are those after & before pics? Looks great!!!!
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
            Wow! Are those after & before pics? Looks great!!!!
            I may have chosen the worst before picture for effect, but yes, before and after. In addition to painting the hull and topsides, I scraped about 15 layers of hard bottom paint the po's had accumulated before sanding. Probably the worst job in boating. Hindsight says have it soda blasted but I'm a hard head and figured I'd save the money. Good result but really bad choice. Having the A4 Fire right up sure was a welcome sound. Hopefully launching on Saturday. I had a few engine cut outs right at the end of last season and found a loose connection at the coil positive that I hope was the issue. As Neil pointed out, I found A problem. I just hope it was THE problem. Time will tell. This forum will be the first to know, that's for sure.
            John Novotny
            1973 Tartan 30 #186
            Baltimore, MD

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

John, Don't show my wife those pics...she'll have me painting the hull too..(actually, i am working on that..i took the windows out last year and painted the area around them. Eventually, I work my way to the hull after I finish the rest of the deck.)

This spring, I am working on interior cushions. I don't see the hull when I am on the boat, so it can be the last "upgrade" as far as I am concerned!
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• southcoasting
                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Skywalker View Post
                I bought an old yard trailer years ago when I first had my Tartan. My neighbor owns a steel manufacturing business, so we customized it. Had an extension tongue to boot. Unfortunately, I sold it after I sold the Tartan to some guy in Connecticut. Wish I had it now. The T27 has an 8.5 foot beam, 7000 lbs. My buddy's dually was all we needed.

When I got the boat back, the paint was awful. Harry paid some guy to slop two part poly on. He used a brush in random stroke directions! It was like having cross hatching. So this winter I decided to sand and polish. Started with 1000 grit, moved to 1500, then 2000. Buffed with a wheel with two different compounds. Passes the 20 foot test. The starboard side's paint was a little thin and the primer bled through here and there, but it will last me a couple of seasons until I get inspired. I painted the boot yesterday, the cove is tape.

Skywalker

[ATTACH]11642[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11643[/ATTACH]
                Looking good Chris! Is that the stern rail from the salvage yard?
                1971 Tartan 34C Sloop "NOVA LUNA", Rebuilt (2019) Fresh Water Cooled A4 (Bought boat in 2014)
                1968 Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada", rebuilt Old Lyme freshwater A4 (Sold boat in 2014)

Comment

• Skywalker
                  • Jan 2012

Thanks, yes it is.

I wasn't sure how I felt about it when I first put it on. The open transom look and ease of getting on/off appealed to me. But now, I love it.

Chris

Comment

• Mo
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2007

...and she's in.

...and she's in for the season. Uneventful, eased her down the ramp with trailer attached to rope, into the water and backed her out until she came off the trailer...whole ordeal...maybe 20 minutes start to finish.
                    Attached Files
                    Mo

"Odyssey"
                    1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• sail_flathead_lake
                      • Nov 2013

We got our T27 in the water a week and a half ago - first boat on the lake.

Trailer launch and mast raised with an A frame:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbrSjcK9SUU[/YOUTUBE]

A4 started right up. I'm playing with fire here as I didn't add any gas last season and the PO says she didn't use the boat the season before I got it. We're on year 3 of gasoline! I'll let you all know when she finally quits, or if I manage to make it to the bottom of that 15 gallon tank.

Happy Sailing!

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by sail_flathead_lake View Post
                        We got our T27 in the water a week and a half ago - first boat on the lake.

Trailer launch and mast raised with an A frame:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbrSjcK9SUU[/YOUTUBE]

A4 started right up. I'm playing with fire here as I didn't add any gas last season and the PO says she didn't use the boat the season before I got it. We're on year 3 of gasoline! I'll let you all know when she finally quits, or if I manage to make it to the bottom of that 15 gallon tank.

Happy Sailing!
                        Very impressive. Good luck on the fuel.
                        John Novotny
                        1973 Tartan 30 #186
                        Baltimore, MD

Comment

• Skywalker
                          • Jan 2012

That's awesome!

Love this time of year.

Chris

Comment

• toddster
                            • Aug 2011

While I did get to go sailing a couple of times a month all winter (not the couple of times per week required by resolution) I am feeling a bit jealous of you guys who have an annual haul-out. My boat could certainly use a bit of spa treatment if I could get it hauled up behind the barn again. I'ts probably time for new bottom paint and certainly could use some touch-up on the top sides. And I just discovered that someone sideswiped it in the marina again, and left a set of horizontal scrapes on the stem.

Comment

Working...
                            X