• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zellerj
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2005

Need help with diagnosis

Usually my engine starts within a second or two. This summer, it happened twice - I turned the key to start and there was nothing - no clicking and no sound what so ever. I put a screw driver across the two large terminals on the stater solenoid, and it starter spun but the starter did not engage the flywheel. Went back to the cockpit, and then the ignition switch worked to start the engine. This no start issue happened in June, and the key switch worked fine for 6 weeks, and today I had a no start issue again.

My experience with older engines is that jumping the solenoid causes the starter to engage with the flywheel. So I was surprised that the starter just spun without engaging with the flywheel.

Why would spinning the starter affect the key switch, so that after jumping the solenoid, the key switch started the engine?

Can someone make sense of this?

Best
    Jim
    Jim Zeller
    1982 Catalina 30
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by zellerj View Post
    Usually my engine starts within a second or two. This summer, it happened twice - I turned the key to start and there was nothing - no clicking and no sound what so ever. I put a screw driver across the two large terminals on the stater solenoid, and it starter spun but the starter did not engage the flywheel. Went back to the cockpit, and then the ignition switch worked to start the engine. This no start issue happened in June, and the key switch worked fine for 6 weeks, and today I had a no start issue again.

My experience with older engines is that jumping the solenoid causes the starter to engage with the flywheel. So I was surprised that the starter just spun without engaging with the flywheel.

Why would spinning the starter affect the key switch, so that after jumping the solenoid, the key switch started the engine?

Can someone make sense of this?

Best
    Jim
    New or old style starter?
    I had enough problems with starter buttons getting erratic that I made a solenoid-solenoid. My starter button operates a relay that operates the solenoid and I have never had a problem since.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Sounds like you have an electrical issue.
      The late model A4 starters do not have a Bendix drive as such - the starter solenoid moves a lever that engages the gear to the flywheel.
      Jumping the solenoid sends power to the starter and it spins, but it doesn't move the lever to engage the gear to the flywheel.
      Time for some new switches/wiring and to make some choices. Do you want a key for off/on - why not just a toggle switch? If you want a key for off/on, do you want a 3rd position for 'start' - perhaps just a push button?

Comment

• alcodiesel
        • Oct 2015

I always left the key in the ignition switch. When the switch began to be unreliable I installed a toggle for the ignition and a pushbutton for the starter. Very happy with this config.
        Bill McLean
        '76 Ericson 27
        :valhalla:
        Norfolk, VA

Comment

Working...
        X