• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jamaral
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jul 2015

Running cold

This is my third season in the north East. With my atomic 4. The temp has always been at 120 With no issues. When it starts I push the choke all the ways in and it has never stalled until recently. Should I keep it chocked until it warms a while and should I be concerned that the temp does Not rise unless I. Restrict The raw water ... I have changed the thermost. Temp gauge. And sending unit...
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

J, most likely it is just a carb adjustment. Try turning the "idle air screw" in 1/4turn to richen the idle mix a bit. This should help cold starts.

The engine temp should not cause this unless it is "much" colder outside as cold idle and idle warm enough to satisfactorily idle has little to do with water temps in the engine or the bay, it's the temp of the block. The cylinders will warm enough to idle long before temp is getting to the cooling water.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Jamaral View Post
      ... I have changed the thermost. Temp gauge. And sending unit...
      Sending unit->wiring-> gauge.
      You have changed out the sending unit & gauge. Have you checked the wiring?
      To check the wiring:
      Disconnect the wiring at the sending unit and gauge. Attach a jumper wire to one end of the wire and lead it near the other end of the wire. Lay an ohm meter on these two ends. S\B zero ohms. If this is an open circuit or lots of ohms the gauge is not getting any signal and will always read low.

TRUE GRIT
      Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 08-22-2017, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Jamaral
        Frequent Contributor
        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
        J, most likely it is just a carb adjustment. Try turning the "idle air screw" in 1/4turn to richen the idle mix a bit. This should help cold starts.

The engine temp should not cause this unless it is "much" colder outside as cold idle and idle warm enough to satisfactorily idle has little to do with water temps in the engine or the bay, it's the temp of the block. The cylinders will warm enough to idle long before temp is getting to the cooling water.

Dave Neptune
        Thanks for the advise Dave. I will defantly give it a try and post the results.

Comment

• Jamaral
          Frequent Contributor
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
          Sending unit->wiring-> gauge.
          You have changed out the sending unit & gauge. Have you checked the wiring?
          To check the wiring:
          Disconnect the wiring at the sending unit and gauge. Attach a jumper wire to one end of the wire and lead it near the other end of the wire. Lay an ohm meter on these two ends. S\B zero ohms. If this is an open circuit or lots of ohms the gauge is not getting any signal and will always read low.

TRUE GRIT
          Thanks for the info John.... If I restric. The amount of water going thru the sea valve then the temp will rise to 140. The previous owner informed me that he always opened the valve wide open and the motor ran rine at 120

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            • Nov 2008

Do you know if you have a thermostat?
            Also the bypass may be mucked up and all the cooling water going through the engine all the time.
            Having full flow of water all the time keeps he exhaust system cooler.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Jamaral
              Frequent Contributor
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
              Do you know if you have a thermostat?
              Also the bypass may be mucked up and all the cooling water going through the engine all the time.
              Having full flow of water all the time keeps he exhaust system cooler.

TRUE GRIT
              The thermostat is new this year... I don't. Believe my motor has a be pass... Thanks for info

Comment

Working...
              X