Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trysail
    • Jul 2008

Just had same problem. Removed the inline fuel filter and tested it. Partly clogged. Replaced it and just came back from an evening test run. Back up to 2000 - 2200 rpm.

I still have the mechanical pump and when the filter starts to get dirty the rpms drop

37 year old engine advise via an iPhone

Comment

• caliberapp
      • Aug 2009

I had the SAME problem.

For about two years I was going through the VERY same issue. 17-18 hours to Catalina from O'side at 3.5 - 4 kts. The engine would abruptly shut off, usually next to the rocks! I checked everything you have after asking hundreds (it seemed like) people. The fix was a $30 generic electric fuel pump from Pep boys. As it turns out, the multiple times I checked the fuel pump, it was always pumping gas, BUT!, I never checked the fuel pressure coming from it. It seems that after 1400 to 1500 rpm under load, it couldn't supply enough fuel. I rigged the new pump and waalaaaaa, I got my 2000-2300 rpm and 6.5 to 7 kts back and the engine doesn't shut off when I really need it. Yea! I hope this helps !!!

Comment

• fvigeant
        • Apr 2008

I had a great deal of fuel problems about 2 years ago with me 74 catalina 27...A4 I'd second checking the fuel pressure but the pooling seems like a float issue. Do you rely on teh fuel stabilizer over the winter or do you drain your carb? Do you have a scavenger tube and or PCV kit installed? Are there clamps on the PCV hose? When you put in the new carb is it possible you have a damaged or cross threaded the copper scavenger tube causing a vacuum leak and also not scavenging any fuel off the bottom of the carb?

Secondly, have you ever taken the sending unit off your fuel tank and peered in at the strainer on the pickup tube... typically you can keep an ideling engine at bay with low fuel pressure but as you motor about picking up decases worth of junk on your in-tank strainer it can clog up and die especially as you increase RPMs suddenly demanding a fast burst of gas... then when the engine dies all the crud falls off... rinse and repeat the annoying problem will persist. The big issue here is becuase of the ethanol... it cleans the tank and if your like most of us with a 30 year old aluminum tank you probably have a great deal of junk now being freed by the ethanol and being sent right at your strainer.

Just my two cents...

Comment

• fvigeant
          • Apr 2008

just a last thought... a plugged strainer will lead to premature fuel pump failure especially in electric pumps... if you find you have a crap fuel pump you should still check your tank for crud and strainer. One fast cheap option may be to install a polishing filter and then to remove the strainer in-tank so all the crud at your primary racor which you can change out a few times as a way of polishing up the tank. As I recall newer tanks rely on this method--- no more in tank strainers.

Comment

Working...
          X